Crabtreeb

Muffler repair.

Crabtreeb

Just bought this wheel horse B80 and wanted to upgrade the muffler to something quieter so I bought a muffler for a ford and when I went to get the old muffler off it was seized with rust. I tried taking it off with a pipe wrench but that didn't work I just crushed the pipe so I took a 1" forge weld on pipe coupling and sawed off the old muffler and welded on the coupling the I took my 2' pipe wrench and I was able to put enough pressure on the pipe with out it deforming it. You guys may already know this trick but for those that might not its worth a try. If it doesn't brake loose you can weld a new piece of 1" pipe with threads and screw a new muffler on that. Hope that helps some one.

post-13207-0-84718900-1402273151_thumb.j

post-13207-0-12475200-1402273188_thumb.j

can whlvr

that's a good idea,you can cut inside the pipe to just before the threads in the block,them crush the pipe with a chisel and replace the nipple

Crabtreeb

I have done that before as we'll but this was quicker but that way is probably the sure fire way. Probably less chance of cracking the block that way to. But patience has never bin one of my virtues.

rmaynard

Most guys don't have a welder, but most do have a hacksaw and a hammer. Just my :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

SousaKerry

I have removed several by cutting the pipe off short and then using a cold chisel and a hammer the cave in one side of the pipe.  They just about fall out once you peel it in.

wrightorchid

Just be careful you don't knock the old bits into the engine...

Alan_Heist

Just be careful you don't knock the old bits into the engine...

If anything goes in there, just tip a little bit and shake... everything will come out... :ychain::laughing-rofl::eusa-doh: