oe espo

36" Tiller keeps throwing belt off? ??

oe espo

I have been trying to get the garden in this year.  first time. Having problems with most every conceivable thing it seems. Right now I keep throwing the tiller belt off.  Looks like it walks too much on the mid mount idler.  The black colored idler is new.  Maybe latches for the mid mount are worn out?  Mid mount bent where the idler bolts on.  I'm thinking of a way to check how parrallel the pulleys are.

Bearings on cast pulley in photo are OK, not new but seem ok since the belt goes from this pulley to PTO then to the black idler.

Bearing on the PTO are also OK (acceptable i think)

Any ideas appreciated.  im ready to scrap the garden and food plot for this spring.

MidMountIdlerWalkingBelt2.wmv

oe espo

Side picture.

Notice how the red arm is so close to the lower PTO hoop bracket.  you cant stretch it very far forward.  i was hoping to stretch forward to ease geting the belt back on, which isnt the easiest unless im doing it wrong.

post-7482-0-09096300-1401980786_thumb.jp

Edited by oe espo

CasualObserver

I'm guessing you don't have the belt  and idler pulleys perfectly inline with the PTO sheave?  Can't tell from your video, but clearly it's not running true.  You may be better off switching to one of the other style of idlers which would eliminate the restriction you're running into on the PTO bail.  Perhaps someone with one of the newer style has one that they would trade you.  Or you can likely pick one up at the show in two weeks.  

You can see the difference in this topic.  

doc724

I watched the video, the belt is walking perhaps because the rear pulley and idler are either not aligned or one of the bearings (likely the idler) are not running true.  I suppose the bearing sin the PTO could be bad as well, but my money is on the idler in the back

• Like 1

oe espo

You know what, I think it is on the idler on the back!!  Eyballing it between it and the larger diameter tiller input sheave its way off.  My mind had been convinced its somewhere up front PTO etc. Becuase its starts it wobble at the new mid idler after the PTO sheave (in the direciton of belt travel), however it makes sense now.  I'll keep tweeking it. Problem is that I cant find the replacement bearing insert (ecept at toro about $50 for a 1" diameter bearing) and its problably the worst play of all of them.  I think its part number #4567.  if anyone has a cross, let me konw.  Now i have hope.  Thanks!  i was ready to sell all my WH STUFF I have been collecting (im a newbie)!

gwest_ca

I've seen  the following for #4567

Nice 7842-4

6300-2RS which is 10mm x 35mm x 11mm (.394" x 1.378" x .433")

.375"x1.375"x.440"

I don't know what is correct. If you figure it out let us know.

Garry

daveoman1966

My bet..... You don't have enough tension on the belt.  Change to a heavier spring or shorten the one that is on the now. With more tension, I don't think the belt will travel like it does.   

daveoman1966

I watched the video again, and again...over and over. 

Edited by daveoman1966

brandonozz

Have you tried a new belt?  My belt was jumping all over the place (and even off) and runs very true now with a new belt.

oe espo

I actually have a new WH belt. Didn't try it yet, guess I didn't want to damage the new one because I couldn't till more than a foot before it would jump off. I tweaked (made two tiller idlers more parallel) and actually did some tilling. But like Daveomann said the belt actually rolled over in PTO. I'm going to take tiller off so it's easier to see and work on. Align two sheaves and try new belt also look into a new bearing for tiller idler

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by oe espo

312Hydro

I agree with the others. More tension and a new idler. Not in that order though. I'd get that idler fixed first unless your large pulley is  wobbling. My tiller jumps when breaking new ground

( thinking about adding a weight box to it) and will throw off the belt once in awhile. Someone on the forum had a very nice setup with an angle iron frame that held concrete blocks for weight.I use a plow first now and then till. It's easier on the tiller for me.

jachady

Usually an issue with the belt is with the tiller idler pulley.  It's the one that sends the belt the longest distance back to the front of the tractor and if it's slightly off it will throw the belt a lot.  It sounds like the bearing might be your issue but if that doesn't solve it, you can add or subtract washers to shim the pulley in or out.  Or even bend the brace the pulley is on to get the belt traveling in the right direction.  I would attempt to get the old belt to run true first, the new belt with it's stickiness will hide the problem.  For guys that throw the belt while the tiller is jumping, check how tight your rear attach point is.  If it's worn the tiller will actually tilt side to side and throw the belt.  I've had mine built back up and I bolt the tiller into place, I don't just use pins.  I also don't use a spring to hold belt tension.  The mid-idler arm actually rests against the PTO bracket and holds the belt just tight enough.  To me when I ran the spring the belt jumped more, it seemed to need a little more play than the spring would allow. 

Forest Road

Speaking from experience I agree 100% with jay. If the tiller idler is off just a hair it'll pop belts all day long. I recall using washers on one tiller to shim it out. On another I just gave it a slight bend.

If the bearings spin freely they're typically fine.

Easiest way to check is to stand behind tractor with pto engaged and watch the belt track over the pulleys. A slight bend can make a world of difference.

• Like 1

oe espo

So i tweaked the real idler and got some tilling done. Not perfect but but didn't throw the belt once. Thanks everyone. Is it too late to plant corn? Newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

oe espo

3u5y6yga.jpg. Got rome rock pickers!

cyrus

Is it too late to plant corn? 

shouldn't be, it will just be a little later in the season before its ready. you will also need to irrigate more than you would have if you planted in mid/late May.  

jachady

Looks like a big garden.  Glad you were able to get it done.