cod

rebuild, replace or therapy

cod

I've got a 418 with a Kohler Magnum with almost 1800 hours on it.  It smokes a bit when started and sometimes when I engage the pto, so I'm thinking that at some point I'll have to overhaul the Kohler.  Reading through the forum I see loads of threads about the different engines but I'm wondering if it would be better to buy a rebuilt Kohler long block, add the remaining components, bolt it in and drive away.  Seems like I'd only be down for a week or two with the long block whereas getting the engine rebuilt could take a month or more.

Any thoughts?

Of course another option would be to buy a second 418 to cover the downtime but somehow I see a "shrink" in my future with that option as my better half is going to start wondering why the garage looks so red...

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

1. I think either of the three are good options.

2. If you have access to a 418 then you should buy it anyway. They are almost non-existant here where I live.

smoreau

One thing if your going to buy a replacement magnum 18 is you will need to get one with the Torrington thrust bearing in it for the pto I have one in my 90 520 and it worked out great for a replacement engine, just not happy with the carb. Plan on trying a KT17 carb, just haven't got to it yet. As for the better half, just tell her it's no different then her shoe collection!

AMC RULES

That's the ticket...

go for the  :wh: shrink. :handgestures-thumbsup:  

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1