chazm

briggs starter drive gear

chazm

Have a 18hp biggs that keeps breaking the plastic drive gear /all looks good on the mounting & flywheel... Any ideas???

Edited by chazm

varosd

after getting my first "big" Briggs 18 hp on the workhorse, I found out they eat starter gears like a kid eating cotton candy at the state fair! 

OEM is the key as they seem to be made of harder plastic.. 

as long as everything is aligned correctly, it should be fine. 

After getting an OEM gear, my Briggs starts at the slightest turn of the key. :D    So far....!

• Like 2

chazm

Thanks Don, I was wondering about if OEM gear would be better...you da Man

varosd

and buy a couple back up gears!   Just in case!

Martin

last time i had to replace one on the 1848 i picked up a box of two of them off ebay, they are cheap enough......

heres how mine looked....

post-4321-0-63673300-1401064783_thumb.jp

and the replacement....

part number 693059....

post-4321-0-80284300-1401065027_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Desko

The problem is your putting them on wrong or the person who had it first put it on wrong most people see the indented shoulder at the bottom and put it facing down when it should be facing up towards the flywheel

• Like 1

Martin

just to clarify.

the teeth on the leading edge have a bevel and that is what goes up or away from the starter. this is what 'meshes' with the flywheel. i can't comment on whether they are being put on right or wrong as there are no pics to show either. i do know the pic i showed of mine above was installed correctly, the gear had just worn out from old age......

just make sure you use an oem gear, the flywheel teeth all look good and you install the gear the correct way. the bevel on the gear teeth needs to contact the flywheel first when the starter throws out to mesh with the teeth on the flywheel......

this side faces out from the starter motor......

post-4321-0-82713400-1401118892_thumb.jp

this side goes against the starter motor.....

post-4321-0-32497900-1401118907_thumb.jp

• Like 1

varosd

"Front towards enemy" :rolleyes:    lets see how many remember that!

• Like 1

grandmas312

I just picked up a Snow blower that came with a GT-1848 with a worn out starter gear. My Question and its a dumb one. How do you get the gear off the starter to change it? my instincts tell me to knock out the roll pin, but it wont move. sprayed some break away on it and still not luck. Am I on the right track or is there another way? Thanks for any help in advance. 

chazm

1st off .... WELCOME TO :rs:

Yep roll pin needs to come out, need to use a good pin punch the same size. Be sure to get OEM B&S gears , that took care of my problem  :greetings-clappingyellow:

Edited by chazm

grandmas312

Thanks I finally just got a little rough with it and got it out. Just in time for the local parts store to be closed. Have to wait until next week to get it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timm6528

Stripped my starter gear trying to start the 1848 in cold temps, mine looks differant than the one pictured in above posts, had to pry out the inner ring than holds the end cap on, that allowed the gear to slide out. No pin to drive out on this one.post-10872-0-88621100-1423326177_thumb.j

kiotiken

That's the one I have timm6628. After 25 our so years the original starter went out. Bought a new starter off Ebay and ever since it eats the starter gear. I have probably put six on it in two years. But I must say I'm really good at it now.