Shynon

trans swap

Shynon

I have a 1257 with a 3 speed transmission short frame wedge hood and I changed out the transmission and installed 8speed from a black hood  c125. I had to make up my own brake linkage. input pulley on the 8 speed is larger than the old 3 speed. If I switched and put the 3 speed pulley on the 8 speed how would that affect the gearing? If  I leave the pulleys what length belt would I use? I have to believe someone else has already done this.

Thanks Tom

stevasaurus

Tom...just thinking about it...the transmission in an 8 speed gets enough oil thrown around to lubricate the gears and bearings whether it is in 1st gear low or 3rd gear hi.  The smaller 3 speed pulley is going to increase the 3rd gear hi speed of the horse on the ground...depending on the RPMs of the engine...I think.  The gearing ratios will remain the same inside the transmission.  Will you hurt the trans?  I don't think so.  Depends on what you are doing and for how long.  I think you will have a feel for it and the RPM''s will tell you.  For the belt length...use a string around the pulleys with the tension pulley engaged...maybe minus a  touch. :)  Might have to mess with the belt guard a little to put the slack in the belt toward the engine drive pulley.

How's you golf game doing?  :)