PGRNPA

Considering having my K241 S rebuilt

PGRNPA

While it's at the shop, I am considering having it rebuilt.  What am I looking at cost wise?  Kohler parts vs. aftermarket prices.  It's off a 1975 C-100 which I have owned for 16 years now.  No idea of history prior to me.  Regular oil changes and have replaced points and condenser this past Feb.  I have a plow, snow blower and mower deck and tractor is in great shape so it should definitely last another 40 years.

Fordiesel69

250-500 typically.  Aftermarket parts are fine if the machine shop is good.  What I find is that the parts are not in spec, but they do not appear to be good quality.  Kohler parts used to be exact to specs but the new stuff is not.  The machine shop must aquire the part first, and do the machining second.  If they don;t the parts may not work, or be a little loose. 

PGRNPA

Thanks.

Edited by PGRNPA

Fordiesel69

I acutally did not word my post correclty.  What I meant to say is that the aftermarket parts sometimes are not in spec, but ARE made of decent quality.  So if the machine shop does the work AFTER getting the parts, and machines the engine based on actual measurements, the parts will work fine.  I hope this is more clear and I do apoligize. 

Kohler parts back in the day used to be within spec so a machine shop that was lazy or in a hurry could do the machining up front, and slap the parts in and be lucky.  Not anymore.  Kohler sources thier "genuine" parts in china / mexico now.

PGRNPA

Ok, need help deciding how to proceed please!  Shop called and said the valve is hanging up when it's warm and needs replaced.  Also has a cracked coil.  This will necessitate removal and taking apart.  He said $300-400 right now.  This would not be a complete overhaul unless I wanted that but he said he may have trouble getting some things because of it's age.  I thought from reading this forum that whether oem or aftermarket, parts can be obtained.  So thoughts if this is worth it and if so, since it's being tore down I think it makes sense to do a complete overhaul. 

rmaynard

You can save a lot of money by disassembling the engine yourself. If the only problem is a sticking valve, $300 to $400 is way too much in my opinion.

PGRNPA

Bob, I would be interested in doing the job myself but I never have done anything like that and am thinking I would be in over my head.  Forddiesel69 quoted a range of $250-500 for a rebuild so this is close to that.  What are things I would want to make sure are done in an overhaul? 

bmsgaffer

if he is saying $400 for a sticking valve a full rebuild will be WAY more than Fordiesel estimated.

I would shop around if you can.

shorts

First things first, download the Kohler engine service manual and do some research to get a better understanding of your engine and to see if you think that you might want to do the work yourself or would be comfortable trying to repair it yourself. From your description something sounds awry, valves sticking when warm doesn't make sense on a running engine, cracked coil sounds like a logical problem for 2 reasons, first the insulation is compromised and second the windings could either open or short out with the heat and expansion cycle.

In my humble opinion it's time to do some shopping, check with some of the other small engine repair shops for an opinion and also start looking for a competent automotive machine shop that can properly measure the engine internals and do the necessary machine work, they should also be able to source the needed parts and pieces to reassemble the engine 

Edited by shorts

Fordiesel69

Where in PA are you?  Ebay kits are $100, cylinder boring is $60, crank turning is $75, valve guides are $25 each installed, total is $285.  That is what I pay, and have done quite a few for myself and friends.  I of course do the assembly and stuff.  The issue is a garden shop vs machine shop.  I just assumed everyone would know that you NEVER EVER take the engine to a garden shop to have it worked on.  They charge too much.  

Most machine shops will be in the 250-500 range, and in some geographic areas a tad more.  But $400 to do a valve job is way overkill.  A slow mechanic could do it in 2 hrs. 

km3h

Where in PA are you?  Ebay kits are $100, cylinder boring is $60, crank turning is $75, valve guides are $25 each installed, total is $285.  That is what I pay, and have done quite a few for myself and friends.  I of course do the assembly and stuff.  The issue is a garden shop vs machine shop.  I just assumed everyone would know that you NEVER EVER take the engine to a garden shop to have it worked on.  They charge too much.  

Most machine shops will be in the 250-500 range, and in some geographic areas a tad more.  But $400 to do a valve job is way overkill.  A slow mechanic could do it in 2 hrs.

Pay attention to what Frodiesel69 has said. Those prices are right in the ballpark and the aftermarket parts are good quality. I always try to get parts that come from Stens. Most resellers use them as a source.

Everything you need to know about rebuilding the Kohler K series engines can be found on YouTube in living color. Try this.

Once you look at this guys posts, you will find that there are many more. Watch them all. You need a minimal amount of tools and little knowledge to do this job. These are very simple engines and last a lifetime. I have rebuilt several of them and it is a piece of cake.