jdleach

Transaxle Upgrade

jdleach

This may have been asked before, but here goes...

Are the cases on the 300 series tractors the same as the the bigger tractors? Further, can a 4-pinion diff. axle be upgraded to an 8-pinion?

Not considering such a mod. at the time, but was intrigued by the idea.

Desko

You would need a lathe to cut down the axles to 1" to go through the axle carriers but yes it could be done and you'd need a woodruff key cutter

jdleach

You would need a lathe to cut down the axles to 1" to go through the axle carriers but yes it could be done and you'd need a woodruff key cutter

Well, that is simple enough. This may be something I do at some point. I still own my family's old machine shop, so making/turning axles is almost a non-issue. Was reading a thread wherein a member had two axles for an RJ I believe, sent to him because he had to waste one of his. Looking at the photos got me to thinking about modifying my trans since there was nothing very complicated about the machining on the WH trans parts I have seen thus far.

Racinbob

jdleach, I believe you're talking about the axles sent to me for my Suburban 400. I had to cut one of the originals off to get the hub off. The axles I received were perfect. I don't have access to a mill nor the skills but if you do I'm sure you could turn the 1 1/8" down to 1" (only back far enough to fit them through the carriers) and cut new keyways. I had a delay in getting a couple of bushings but I should have the tranny back together with the new axles by the end of next week.

• Like 1

can whlvr

just curios why,the 4 pinion is very capable unless you are pulling at tractor pulls

jdleach

jdleach, I believe you're talking about the axles sent to me for my Suburban 400. I had to cut one of the originals off to get the hub off. The axles I received were perfect. I don't have access to a mill nor the skills but if you do I'm sure you could turn the 1 1/8" down to 1" (only back far enough to fit them through the carriers) and cut new keyways. I had a delay in getting a couple of bushings but I should have the tranny back together with the new axles by the end of next week.

Great to hear your getting your trans is almost together, and yes Bob, it was your thread. The thread was both informative, and enjoyable to read. Being a toolmaker for over 30 years, I take great interest in how things are made, and how Wheel Horses are constructed is both simple, and well done, almost elegant. So far, I have not seen anything that cannot be reproduced rather easily, sans the castings. Yet, even the castings can be made given the proper skill and determination. Edited by jdleach

jdleach

just curios why,the 4 pinion is very capable unless you are pulling at tractor pulls

Well, I suppose it is because it is just a more robust design. I may never do it, but knowing the construction of these transmissions, and the fact that it could be accomplished, is nice for me to know.

Then again, I am kind of like Tim on "Tool Time"....."More Power!!!" Think the turbo charged garbage disposal.

bmsgaffer

I am with you on the tim taylor mind :)

However, to save you the effort: the 8 pinion full transmission can bolt up to your tractor with no modifications.

And actually, I think any 8 speed transmission from 1962+ will bolt up just the same :)

I am fixing up a tractor that will undergo an Eaton 1100 hydro upgrade here in the next few months.