Sign in to follow this  
TravelinJavelin

k-341 engine got me baffled?

TravelinJavelin

this engine won't run for crap for some reason tried 5 different carbs has compression of 100lbs has new points condenser and coil good spark fuel is flowing from tank very well, so here's what I don't understand now when it runs it just idles only the minute you try to give it throttle it dies then you bring it back to idle then will run for a minute then dies out or will try to catch itself and almost like backfires through carbuerator or wants to like run backwards for before quiting, when you pull the plug out to inspect its black and carboned up not wet at all which puzzles me?

joel_400

Are the carbs known good carbs? Is the fuel cap venting? Just some thoughts. Have you tried adjusting the carbs? Condenser is hooked to the negative side of the coil? Hope you get it fugured out.

Joel

squonk

Just for the heck of it I would run a wire directly to the positive side of the coil to the battery or at least connect a voltmeter and see if your losing 12v to the coil. I had a tractor that did this and the vibration while the engine was running caused a bad connection intermittently dropping out the battery power to the coil. It would die,backfire,black smoke,fouled plug ect. Once I found the bad connection. It ran like a champ. You trying five different carbs with the same result leads me to believe it's not fuel.

gwest_ca

I've seen a bad condenser do that and drove me nuts after having just replaced it with the points. New ones can be defective.

Garry

TravelinJavelin

yeah I tried a carter just bought one of the Chinese knock offs and several others that came off good running motors more or less the same results with the carbs I've seen leaking seals act simaler to this but usually would run great til warmed up and die out until cooled off sometimes you swear that it was off time the way it trys to catch itself then almost backfires through th carb and literally will turn it over backwards

TravelinJavelin

is there a way to test a condenser? I know when I pull the plug out to check fire its just as bright blue as can be

Kelly

Change the condenser, had the same thing happen to me a few times, also be sure it's hooked to the neg side of the coil. 

TravelinJavelin

yup just confirmed all that and will change the condenser would like to thank everyone's help on here

Edited by TravelinJavelin

TravelinJavelin

well got the problem solved and I guess I should of paid more attention but all it was the wire that goes to the coil was on positive instead og the negative side, switched that around and man it just sat there idling and throttled up perfect, thank you very much for the help I do appreciate it

slammer302

Just went through the exact same thing it was the points bring them in just a little took care of it for me

slammer302

I changed my carb 3 times I almost gave up then when it was idling I put my screw drive against the points and it started to run good when I pulled the screw driver off it went back to running like crap so I righted up the points gap and ur runs great know

TravelinJavelin

amazing how something so simple will get the best of you sometimes