bizzo15

Oil leak on Kohler Command 12hp

bizzo15

My 312-8 seems to have developed an oil leak that I'm having trouble tracking down.  It's leaving a spot on the concrete in my garage just behind the front axle/oil filter area.  I just did an oil change last week and put a new filter on and it doesn't appear to be coming from the filter area.  Where else should I check for a leak?  Also how involved of a process is it pulling the motor from the tractor to better investigate the source of the leak if I need to?

Thanks,

Matt

bizzo15

Nobody has any idea on where this oil leak might be coming from?  Also nobody has pulled one of these motors out of a 3 series tractor??? Guess I'm going at this one alone!

boovuc

Hey Bizzo,

I don't think a lot of the members have worked on the Commands. I know I never have.

bizzo15

I kinda figured my lack of responses was due to the motor and not the chassis as I know the 312 is very popular.  Looks like I'll have to buy another wheel horse tractor so I can tear this one down and see what's going  on.  Thankfully it's only a couple of drops but it sure is making a mess of the garage floor.

boovuc

Bizzo,

If the leak seems to be at or near the oil filter, I would drain the oil again and take the filer off and try another filter. Pay attention to any debris or a piece of the old filter gasket on the seal lip. I'm sure you tried it but I'll write it anyway but put some rubber gloves on and hand tighten it some more. Just a little and see if there is less oil or if it stops. You have nothing to lose but time, your patience and more money.

Racinbob

Bizzo. if I'm right your 12 is basically the same as my Command 15. Pulling the engine is really no different than pulling a K or Magnum. It's not difficult. But I'm thinking you don't need to pull it yet. Where the leak seems to be it almost has to be coming from the filter or one of the fittings such as the pressure switch. Check all the fittings in that area. I'll look closer at mine today.

doc724

I also have a Command 14 and it also has a little oil leak.  Mine manifests itself with a drop collecting on the right rear bolt that holds the engine to a sub plate (the sub plate is then bolted to the frame)  I have checked just about everything and the only thing I can surmise is that there is a small leak in the gasket seal between the engine (output side) end plate casting and the block.  Maybe it is coming from the crankshaft seal, but I cannot tell.  Like Matt's situation, it leaves a small spot on the floor-very irritating!   Is anyone aware of a UV dye that you can put in engine oil that would be visible under ultraviolet light?  I know they do this with automotive A/C systems to find leaks.