ncwh25

1983 C-85 with Koehler 8hp won't start

ncwh25

I got this tractor for free from a friend. Before I got it, it had sat for about a year, but I saw it run before that. I rewired it to use a push button switch for the starter and a toggle for the ignition / kill switch.

I am getting fuel but no spark. I disconnected the wire from the toggle switch to the ignition and still get no spark.

Could this be a points or condenser problem? How can I check those? (Never worked on small engines before...)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rmaynard

Take the cover off of the points and rotate the engine by hand. You should observe the points open and close. If they don't they may be corroded closed. Pry them open with a small screw driver. Then you should clean them by sliding a small points burnishing tool in-between the contacts allowing the spring to apply pressure. If you don't have such a tool, a fine emery board will work. all you want to do is get the corrosion off the contacts.

The condenser either works or not. If in doubt, replace it.

ncwh25

Thank you, I'll try to tackle the points tonight. Also will be putting a new spindle assembly and pulleys on my Murray... Tired of push mowing...

ncwh25

Did I wire that wrong? Does the coil need to have a 12v feed to it from the battery?

shorts

Did you go to the Kohler site and download the manual for your engine and research it, probably has all the info you need without getting a lot of guesses and opinions from people that aren't their to see what's going on first hand

Fordiesel69

Yes.

It goes like this:

On the negative side of the coil, one wire will goto condensor, the other to the points.  On the + (positive) side of the coil will be your battery + power.  It is that simple.

ncwh25

I guess that's the problem then... Oops. I'll rewrite tonight and see what happens. Thank you everyone.

Glad to be a member.

ncwh25

I rewired the coil last night and got her running. Now I just need to get a real fuel tank and I'll be in business. Thanks everyone.