squonk

Jigglin the carb.

squonk

Started out mowing this year. C-160 Kohler. Hit some bumps and black smoke, sputtering and then clears out. At first I thought is was a loose wire. But I can park it running and shake the tractor and it will act up and I don't see any wires moving. I was told once you don't need the fuel baffle gasket in the carb. I don't remember who but If I remember right, the baffle is not in this carb. Luckily I have another carb sitting on the shelf.I willreplace the carb and see if the problem goes away. If it does I will pull the other one apart and I'm sure I find the baffle not in there. If the problem is still there I will get into the wiring.

520HC

Whoever told you the fuel baffle is not needed was wrong.

oldredrider

Interested in this topic. I have a C-160 that does the same thing. It has a Walbro carb on it and I was told they don't have a baffle in them.....

squonk

Took the carb off and there was no baffle like I thought. Replaced it with the one I had on the shelf and the problem is gone. Both carbs were overhauled in the past year. Lesson learned!  :)

rmaynard

I too was told by someone that the baffles cause more problems than they prevent. The reasoning was, if they are not kept constantly wet (from use), they dry out and will prevent the float from moving properly. So, like a dummy, I removed all the baffles from my carburetors on the "show" tractors, since they only get used once or twice a year. Last year at the WHCC show, while crusin' to the oldies, I kept hitting a bump in the road and flooding out. Then I remembered that I had no baffles. So with that in mind, I decided to redo all those carburetors. I forgot once I got back home, but just recently purchased a dozen new baffles and am in the process right now of installing them.

• Like 1

squonk

I took my C-160 to our Steam Pageant last year. I hit a chuck hole and it flooded out. I said. " What's that all about?" Now I know.

Wheel-N-It

Interesting! I've never had a problem come from removing a carb baffle. Guess I finally got lucky at something ;)