MalMac

Good IL' Balance Gear Question Again

MalMac

Ok we all know the story of Balance gears and how they can explode and leave you with a big exit hole in your block. When I rebuild I always remove them. Was wondering at what or how many hours from when the engine was new do the gears start to wear and become a worry. I know all this is base on how the engine was used, maintained, etc. I have a couple of Magnums that have what is really relative low hours and was thinking of yanking out the gears. Just hate to tear down way before it's time, but If yanking them out now I would not have to worry then. Just curious as to what kind of life they have before they become a liability.

Fordiesel69

I think the internet exagerates the problem.  The early k engines used the old style gears that have lines thru them.  When the bearing play became too much, they could tilt and begin to grind against the crank gear, and then explode.  Another issue is running the engine higher than 3600RPM.  If you are leaving it stock, and have the magnums which have the new style gears you should be safe until the engine needs rebuilt.  I would say 2000-2500 hrs would be about right.

Someone should start a real database on this problem, and record model / serial of which this has occured, and if it is a puller engine or lawn tractor.  I bet the occurances have been more on the modified engines.

The good news is, if this issue concerns you, use a sharp chisel and "crack" the gear right off the stub shaft.  There should be little to no little pieces, however do inspect and clean the crankcase just to be sure. 

To date, I have not read or heard of any magnums having this problem.  Has anyone else experianced it?

MalMac

Good question, It has been only the K series that I have found problems with, not saying the Magnums could not have problems I just have never had any problems with the balance gears in them.

Fordiesel69

I have also found that finding a virgin K series is very hard.  They have all been bored over at least .010.

So the question is, how many hours are really on them.  In theory there could be way more than 2000 hrs.

On the flipside, old oil was crap, so maybe they only lasted 500-1000 hrs and were shot.  Correctly formulated oils today I bet could surpass 2000 hrs if it was changed every time at 25 hrs.

oldredrider

Since it's the wear in the needle bearings that cause the balance gears to wobble and explode, it makes sense that a good grade of clean oil changed at the proper intervals would prevent premature failure.

Every Kohler I've torn down with bad bearings in the balance gears had been neglected when it came to periodic maintenance.

Lubricants have improved drastically since the original engineering of the K series, but it still needs to be clean.

leeave96

I pulled the balance gears out of a K301 and it was a very easy job. Given they are a ticking time bomb, I'd want them out of my engines. I've got an M14 in my 314-8 and am going to do a decarbon service on it this winter and will go ahead and address the balance gears on it.

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 1