km3h

Don't You Love It When Someone Dumps On You

km3h

Today I removed the tin from the engine to clean everything properly Also took the starter off and tested it. Starter works fine. There was a lot of dirt and grime under the engine tin along with grass clippings. Glad I took the time to remove them. I squirted some oil in the cylinders and turned the crank by hand. Dows no seem to have much compression. Tomorrow the parts to repair the wire harness come in and I do a compression test and try to get it started. I really do hope this engine is in descent shape. Everything I have read about these engines scares me when it comes to taking them apart. And the parts for Onan are expensive.

If it needs a rebuild I will probably look for a Kohler replacement engine. Rebuild Kit Complete P216G P218G & P220G

$1,299.00

I can't justify that kind of expense.

Edited by km3h

WheelHorse_of_course

So what does he mow with now? He may be borrowing it back!

Congrats on a fine acquisition!

km3h

I am sure he has plenty of other equipment. The raise Black Angus for market at the top of our road.

squonk

Hey Mike, special pancake mix from Maine? Now I'm craving pancakes!

Bouchard Farms Ploye mix!  :)

better that than road apples

Get them too. amish live down south of me and travel by on their way to town. My house is like 30 feet from the main highway! 

km3h

Today I moved it back out of the garage and degunked the entire tractor. I don't know how much longer it would have run the way the engine was caked with debrie. Some grease of course but most was packed in dirt and seed sheels of some kind. I hot wired it and it did run for a few seconds with gas poured in the carb but I did want hook up the fuel line till I make sure the tank is clean and the lines are replaced. As soon as the new connector for the ignition arrives I will try to fire it up and adjuct the valves. It has 541 hours on it and is due a valve adjustment. I have done little else but watch videos on UTube about the Onan engine. I am so glad All Gore invented the internet.

flyovrcntry

I have come to appreciate the old saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure.I have been pleasantly surprised many times by the things some folks want to give you.

There has been a few times I have repaired something that was given to me and I offered it back to the person for the price of repair.They have never taken one back,but the repair was so simple I wanted to make the gesture.

I had an old fellow buy a Crapsman lawn tractor from me a couple weeks ago.After we made the deal he said I have this Murry I want you to take with you when you deliver this.I was surprised to find a nice little Murray with hydrostat,that he said "it wont ever start,the blades are hitting each other,I just want it gone".Well I spent 30. for a new battery,fixed the wires to the clutch pedal that someone had taped together and grounded the coil.The metal on the grass deflector  was bent down and hitting the blade.He didn't want to ever see it again,I sold it for the same price that I sold the Crapsman for.

But I never got a freebee like that 416-H,I traveled a couple hundred miles and paid big for my 417-A  :angry-cussingblack:  :angry-banghead:

• Like 1

km3h

I have a 417A in the garage I am doing a complete restoration on. Removed everything and stripped the paint. Everything is now painted and will start reconstruction after I make sure this tractor is running properly. Traded a guy a nice running Craftsman for it. He bought it from someone and when it stopped running couldn't find what was wrong with it. He just wanted a working tractor to cut his grass. Had to replace the flywheel key. Great running Kohler engine. I used it for a few years and then decided to give it a restore.

just1redone

Isn't it amazing what people throw away. I got another color tractor out of a junk yard because they couldn't get it started. They had the wrong starter on it.

Desko

Wishing that free cub I got was a nice WH. That is the best score I have seen someone get your are so lucky!!

km3h

I live in an area that is somewhat rural. Some farms and some houses. Lots of older folks live around here. When I am out in my garage many of them will stop by. If I can help them I do. Usually it is something to do with the box store tractors. Many of them have older tractors sitting around they don't know what to do with. I have picked up several good old tractors by being nice to someone and they tell me they have this junker in the barn and I can have it if I pick it up. Got a Case 444 with tiller, 3pt hitch and deck that way. I need to stop taking in these old things. I am 77 years old and I don't think I will live long enough to restore what I already have. I have a MTD 995 with deck, snow blower, plow and 3 pt hitch I keep promising iw next but something always turns up and I get sidetracked. Does give me a reason to get up in the morning. Man must have his toys. "Men and boys, the only difference is the price of their toys."

km3h

I used to work for a company on Town Center Ct. in White Marsh. I was just over at IKEA a couple of weeks ago.

Small world isn't it?

That's what I like about this neighborhood. All the conviences of living in town but quiet rural living. The world is getting smaller every day with the ease of travel.

Desko

Yup I live on a farm and I could say I'd never want to leave for the city is so nice and hunting purkes:)

km3h

Well I put the tin back on the old girl today and finished rewiring the switch harness and lo and behold it fired up. Blew a little blue smoke for about a minute and that cleared up nicely. It sound great and I am a very happy camper. After I eat supper I am going to put the seat pan and hood on it and cut some grass. Then I think I will have a beer.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 2