Ed Kennell

Any Pa turkey hunters out there ?

Ed Kennell

Had a great  opening day on Sat.   Got  photos of some jakes and two year olds. Only saw one shooter longbeard, and he never got in range for a photo or a shot.

Monday was a different story...This  3 year old  20 Lber  with a 9" beard and 7/8" spurs came to the call like he was on a string at 8AM.  Sorry , he didn't give me enough time to set the camera and get some live photos.

post-7208-0-96383100-1399554278_thumb.jp  post-7208-0-56094200-1399554311_thumb.jp  post-7208-0-06358400-1399554342_thumb.jp  post-7208-0-50684300-1399554368_thumb.jp

post-7208-0-39654800-1399554393_thumb.jp

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Aaaaaaawhhh...what happened to him?    :eusa-doh: 

C-101plowerpower

Aaaaaaawhhh...what happened to him?    :eusa-doh: 

i think he tried to headbutt a bullet :eusa-think:

Koen

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

i think he tried to headbutt a bullet :eusa-think:

Koen

T'was actually 2oz of #6 lead shot at 1300 fps that did the deed.  Can't use single projectile ammo here in Pa to hunt spring turkey.

Edited by ekennell

boovuc

I was out opening weekend. Had them calling shortly after they came off the roost. Then some jerky tried to sneak up behind them on the back side of the ridge. After that, all I was concerned with were ticks and why I wasn't fishing!  :)

Too many jerkys for turkeys in my neck of the woods. Been shot at once and don't feel comfortable hunting them anymore. We have lots of birds in Southern Clinton County. But Spring is for trout! 

Ed Kennell

I hear ya on the jerkys Boo.  I have  had some bad encounters with them also  while hunting and fishing.    I now hunt and fish on 3000  acres of private land with 20 other members.  There are usually no more than 10 of us  on the property at any time. The only concern now is avoiding the grumpy rattlesnakes.  No more crowds waiting for the pen raised fish and game to be released.

I saw one area on the way home on Wed. that  had such a big crowd waiting for the caravan of trout stockers that they had the local fire police out directing traffic around the 30+ parked  vehicles .

boovuc

Wow! And it isn't like those stockies are going to hit anything right after they left their concrete home. I do miss them stocking our recently new designation "Class A Wild Trout Stream" at camp. It's tough for a kid to fish a wild trout stream. Especially in low clear conditions.

By the way, there were three trucks parked across from camp this morning. All turkey hunters! Glad I wasn't in the woods! I was on the streams!

woodchuckfarmer

Great picture of the turkey and gray squirrel .