Influencer88

Squeal when letting clutch out

Influencer88

I have a new to me 94 Wheelhorse 312-8 with the 42" side discharge deck. Its in decent to rough shape, missing a few of the safety parts like the PTO pulley cover, the pulley at the front's cover is missing... But safety and cosmetics aside, once I get this tractor in good working condition I'll start getting it in good looking condition.

Now for the squeal,

Its happens more in 3rd or 2nd gear than 1st, but when I let the clutch out or if I"m going up a steepish incline there is a squeal from what sounds like the left side although I'm not certain about the origin.

I'm very new to this tractor and not sure if there are area's I can adjust the belts. Actually just destroyed the PTO belt today because I didn't know how to adjust the belt tension.

I'm very willing to put in the time to get this tractor up to par, for what I paid its well worth the investment and from what I've read will last me many years.

Also, if anyone has the input, when engaging the PTO if I connect the PTO safety switch it will shut down, seat switch has been bypassed, what else should I look at?

64s

I also have a '94 312-8 and it did not come with the PTO belt cover - I don't think it was avaiable then.

As for the squeal, I have it also.  Its the belt -I think, and there is no adjustment.  It could also be the pulley, either engine or trannie, but I'd put my money on the belt.  My belt is original and they do get hard over time.  Test yours out by playing with the clutch.  Let it out slowly and then fast, also mix up the engine speed while playing with the clutch.  If its what I think it is, you should hear the squeal differently or not at all sometimes.  At low engine speeds and a quick clutch release, I don't have a sound, but at full throttle and a slower clutch release, there's the squeal.  It never concerned me enough to want to take apart the belt cover and check things out, I just focus on the music of the Kohler.  :)

Lastly, make sure the seat switch has truely been bypassed.  If it has, then I don't have a clue as why the engine cuts off.  My seat switch only comes into play when the PTO is on and my butt is on the seat, otherwise I could get on and off all I want. But if I get off with the PTO engaged, the engine will die.  Even though your seat switch is jumped, try it with you on the seat and off, if anything changes, could be that switch.  Only other advise would be to put a meter to that switch and then to the PTO switch and see what you get.

gwest_ca

Pto switch is working as designed so hook it back up.

Remove the jumper from the seat switch wiring and reconnect to the seat switch.

If something is still not working tell us which idiot light is on. That is why they are there.

Garry

DOC in Kentucky

Try rubbing a bar of soap on the belt, on the inside. If this stops the noise , even temporarily, its a sign that the belt is worn.

Influencer88

I don't have any idiot lights, unless I'm a true idiot and haven't seen them. But then again with no voltage anywhere on the mower, I suppose the lights wouldn't be working either.

I'll play with the clutch and drive belt to see what I can find out. I do know the PO said he just replaced the belts, not sure which ones he's talking about but at any rate he said he just takes the old belt up to Napa and have them match it up. I figure if he took a badly worn/stretched belt up there they may have sold him a belt too large and its causing slipping.

Guess while I"m working on the electrical side of things I'll order all new belts to make 100% sure I have good belts that are the right size.

bmsgaffer

The squealing is fairly common on the 8 speeds that I have had. The "clutch" is just a pulley tensioning or releasing a V-belt, its not really a clutch in which you can feather it well.

From what I have tried and people say on here, nothing works like the correct toro/wheel horse belts. They have a slightly different profile to them, so order up a brand name belt online or from your local dealer and that should help.

gwest_ca

You are correct. There are no idots lights on the 1994 312-8. 314-8 only.

The seat switch operates a seat relay which is the one that has a yellow wire going to it. This one controls the ignition which is self powered. Ground the ignition wire and that stops the engine. Do not allow any battery power into the ignition wire because that will release the magic smoke they installed in the ignition parts when the made them. The other switch in the ignition circuit is one of the pto switches.

The low oil switch controls the other relay which has an orange wire going to it. This one controls the starter circuit. Low oil the relay opens and interupts the power going to the starter solenoid. There is a clutch switch next to the drive belt idler pulley and another pto switch for the starter circuit.

Here is a detailed wiring diagram that has a drawing for each circuit. Makes it easier to follow.

Garry

Influencer88

I wired the seat switch back up and it appears to have solved that issue. If the squealing is typical with this model then thats fine, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign of an underlying issue. I will still be ordering all new belts to be sure that everything is correct. I've never liked the idea of taking old worn belts up to be matched with new belts, too much room for error plus I know the Napa he went to, lets just say they haven't earned my trust...