AMC RULES

First Reel Mowing...

Wheel-N-It

Loved the vids Craig! I'm ashamed of myself now though as the only thing I used a Wheel Horse for this weekend was to pull the lawn sweeper. Unfortunatly I had to make some serious time cutting grass so I was on the zero turn for the better part of the weekend. Next time its the 417-A's turn. The zero turn will stay in the barn :)

Ken B

"actually, caught my new neighbor giving me the stink eye while using it. "

???

Stink eye from a neighbor? You better get to training him right away Craig...

Looks like the reel mower does a nice job. I had a real nice one that I sold. My yard is kinda lumpy and uneven which is why I sold it. They work great on nice level yards. I wish I kept it just to take it to the tractor shows for display purposes... Your tractor has the three piece rear diff. Wouldn't that make it a 400? Maybe just has wrong decals on the hood.. 60's as near as I know don't have the body line in the middle of the hood.

Edited by Ken B

buckrancher

Craig what style gas tank does the 401 have RJ or a large flat rectangular one by looking at the hood I would think it should have the large flat one as that is a early hood style nice tractor!!

Brian

VinsRJ

Looks great Craig!

Jake Kuhn

Stink eye from a neighbor? You better get to training him right away Craig...

Looks like the reel mower does a nice job. I had a real nice one that I sold. My yard is kinda lumpy and uneven which is why I sold it. They work great on nice level yards. I wish I kept it just to take it to the tractor shows for display purposes... Your tractor has the three piece rear diff. Wouldn't that make it a 400? Maybe just has wrong decals on the hood.. 60's as near as I know don't have the body line in the middle of the hood.

401's used the 3 piece rears as well....551 was the only mid engine with a 2 piece. His also has the 61 style hole plug, which is why I was wondering about not having the line. Not that it really matters, but was just interesting.

smoreau

I would say early 61 401 for sure. You don't see too many 401's out there! Very nice one Craig!! That is a keeper just the way it is!

AMC RULES

It does have an RJ style tank.

Having never seen one like this before...

I'm wondering, what kind of trans code is this? 

Can someone decode it for me please?    :thanks:

post-3498-0-14917500-1399334962_thumb.jp

fireman

Who knows what the Pond's did back then. Here is my NOS 401 hood I bought from a collector in California. It too has the body line but mine goes all the way down the middle and if you look at the front you will see it is open grill style. The previous owner said the story he got was they realized the closed style front hoods were blocking air flow hence the change you see in later models. It's the only one i've ever seen like this.

post-1626-0-49585300-1399337532_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-29043500-1399337548_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-91928500-1399337561_thumb.jp

Edited by fireman

AMC RULES

OK, I see it's trans code has been previously discussed here.  

Edited by AMC RULES

stevebo

I was of the understanding that only the replacement hoods had the front grill and that they did not come installed on any new tractors. Like fireman said who knows..

squonk

GIDDY UP! GIDDY UP! 401!  :) 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Now I know definitively...it's one of the two.    :) 

Edited by AMC RULES

Ken B

There is one thing I'm absolutely certain of... Its a Suburban. :laughing-rofl: