REDHORSE2

Painting Kohler Engines

REDHORSE2

I had a 1966 1276 Wheel horse given to me a year ago and i have recently decided to do a restoration on this tractor. The tractor is now apart (every nut and bolt) and i am starting to prep for paint but unsure what to do for paint on the k301 engine. I bought high end automotive paint at a local supplier and he says i can use the paint on the engine as well but my worry is would the paint burn off with the excessive heat? what is the operational temperature of k301 kohlers? Is engine heat paint required and how do i find the right color? 

Thank you

Racinbob

In the past I've used high temp paint on the block and head and Rustoleum Regal Red on the tins. It holds up pretty well. Most high temp paints will be rated at a higher temp if they are baked on. I just let the engine heat do that.

Fordiesel69

Paint everything except the cooling fins and you will be fine.  The head stays bare aluminum, and the cast iron cylinder fins can be coated with black barbque flat black or bare as well.  Everything else will be just fine.

rmaynard

I paint everything with automotive paint. The only area that turns dark is the area around the exhaust.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

REDHORSE2

Ok, Thank you everyone for your great advice !! 

SousaKerry

I spray mine with duplicolor engine enamel.  Rated for 500° and oil resistant I paint the fins and all and their red is a pretty good match.

• Like 1

"D"- Man

I just recently painted my New Old Stock K582 for my 18 automatic used Gloss Black Rustolium engine paint. These pics were taken of the mechanical fuel pump but you can still see some of the block. Mark.

post-3038-0-59434100-1399584044_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-19182100-1399584080_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-67857600-1399584104_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-59669600-1399584131_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Zeek

I just recently painted my New Old Stock K582 for my 18 automatic used Gloss Black Rustolium engine paint. These pics were taken of the mechanical fuel pump but you can still see some of the block. Mark.

Nice!!!

• Like 1

Tankman

Nice paint work Mark!

I don't paint the block or fins, tins painted with Rustoleum.

A pic of the Horse Mark?  

"D"- Man

Nice paint work Mark!

I don't paint the block or fins, tins painted with Rustoleum.

A pic of the Horse Mark?  

I currently am doing a restoration/modification on "The Horse" an 18 Automatic, it is pretty much all in pieces right now.  I am intending to due a thread on here (under a new topic so as to not hijack this topic)  look for "How to make a 23 Automatic LSE from your 18 Auto."  May be a while before It is started though.  Mark.