Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

K181 Carb clean and rebuild kit.

sscotsman

Hey everyone,

this Spring begins the 4th season with my 1964 model 854! :)

Scots-854-0014.jpg

I have done the traditional annual spring maintenance every year,

oil change, general lube and tuneup, but this Spring she needs a bit more..

Last fall near the end of the season (I dont use the tractor in the winter) she began running rough..

wants to stall out..I think she needs a really good fuel system cleanse and carb cleaning..

I have only done one carb clean in my life, on my 1971 Ariens snowblower with Tecumseh engine..

the Kohler carb on the WH looks rather different..so! questions:

1. Is there a "carb rebuild kit" I can get? new gaskets, needles, etc.

The engine is the original 1964 Kohler K181, and as far as I know, its the original carb too.

(I can post photos of the carb if that would be helpful)

2. Any helpful carb cleaning videos or such? anything specific to watch out for?

3. What exactly is the sediment bowl? and how does it work? it collects larger particles from the gas I suppose?

Im going to take that apart and clean it as well..

4. Should I install a fuel filter? if so, what kind? and where?

My 854 is 50 years old this Spring! :) I want to keep her going for another 50..

thanks,

Scot

Edited by sscotsman
  • Like 2

chazm

Well Scot, if you have never did any fuel system maintenance, now would be the time... :handgestures-thumbupright:  No sense in rebuilding the crab ,then have bad fuel lines causing problems down the road. :banghead:

Your 1st questions is yes, carb kits are available from most mower venders & also on fleebay

I would also buy 3-4 ft of 1/4 in fuel line,new clamps,a couple cans of carb cleaner and if you want to add a filter ( which isn't a bad idea ) that too.

Is your sediment bowl mounted under the tank ? thats where its on my 753, you can remove the glass bowl to clean the screen.

Drain all the gas out, so you can see in the bottom of the gas tank to check for debris, Do you have an air compressor? that would be a big help to blow everything out

Unbolt the carb ,noting how the linkage & cables are attached

Once you have a carb kit you can dissassy & clean with the carb cleaner & blow it out, all the the little holes.

If you go to YouTube, I'm sure someone has a video of the rebuild, not that hard

Once you have the carb back on , run new line & clamps, You can put the in-line filter at the most convenient spot not to hinder fuel flow. :icecream:

Edited by chazm
  • Like 1

chazm

• Like 2

sscotsman

Excellent! thanks Chasm, much appreciated..

and good idea about replacing the fuel line as well! I will definitely do that.

Im going to head out to Napa auto parts soon and see if they have a Kohler rebuild kit

for my carb..

thanks,

Scot