Fordiesel69

GT-1642 Engine Swap

Fordiesel69

I think I have this figured out.  Swapping out the 18HP briggs twin for a Kohler M14

I need to do the following:

1.  Replace the choke and throttle cables from a 314 model.

2.  Replace the 1" PTO sleeve with an 1-1/8" from a kohler.

3.  Extend fuel line.

4.  Mount Engine

Is there anything I am missing?

SALTYWRIGHT

YOU NEED TO REWORK THE WIRES.

gwest_ca

This is a 1982 or 1983 model correct? Minor detail but the M14 won't have an AC circuit to power the lights. You should have the magneto ignition switch. 1981 used a battery ignition switch and an isolation relay to kill the magneto ignition.

Garry 

Fordiesel69

1983 model.  Yes it has the magneto ign sw with no isolation relay.

Kelly

you will need the 1 1/8" drive pulley also, if the M14 is a 1 1/8" shaft, you will need to remove all engine mounts the M14 will bolt right on the frame if you have the correct oil pan, you may need the lower PTO hoop mount and PTO hoop from a Kohler powered machine, also the bracket that bolts to the block for the upper PTO mount will be needed from a Kohler

Fordiesel69

That is good to know, all that is already on the spare M14 engine I got.  The pully is already the one for the 8 speed tranny as the engine was pulled from a 314-8.

Desko

What happened to the Briggs?

Fordiesel69

Uses a TON of fuel, I don't really need the power (which is awsome), and for some reason the ex valve seats are loose with low hours and no abuse.  I have to strip the block and send somewhere as my local shop will not do it.  This will take some serious time, and the tractor is a nice worker. 

I ended up getting some oil burning M12 & M14 engines locally and re-ringed them over the winter.  They are also nice workers as well.  The M12 smoked like a cold diesel.