Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Louder Than I Thought

MaineDad

Boy even with a new muffler, the C-160 is much louder than I thought it would be. The 314-8 is much quieter. Any other C-160 owners think so too?

Although, the C-160 went through some really tall grass mowing and did not even sound like it was straining one bit. Can't wait to see how it throws snow.

T-Mo

Micah,

What muffler do you have on it?

BairleaFarm

Yeah, my 160 doesnt seem any louder than my b100

wh500special

If you're running the stock muffler I agree that the C's are ferociously loud suckers. I have always wanted to put something else on there to quiet things down some but haven't gotten to it yet. If you experiment and find something that is easier on the ears, PLEASE let me know.

Steve

kamsdad97

My c141 seems loud to me, but I dont have another wheel horse to compare it to. I did have an old Murray that was much quieter. I think mine stills has the stock muffler on it. If anyone knows of a good replacement muffler for it I would sure like to know...

MaineDad

Ihave a brand new oem stock muffler. Is there a better choice?

MaineDad

I changed the points and gapped it correctly (.020) with a feeler guage. I re-adjusted the carb high speed needle and she sounds a whole lot better! It's no louder than my 314-8 now. The original points were not too dirty, but one of the contacts actually had a hole in it.

So here's the run down so far;

New points

New spark plug

New regulator Rectifier

New coil

New battery

New seat

New drive Belt

New/Used non-leaking hydraulic lift cylinder

New/Used hydraulic lift handle

New gas tank

Need to do;

New wires

New tires all the way around

New hour meter

Clevis Hitch and lift cable

She runs great now though :banghead:

kj4kicks

Hi Micah, Some manufacturers put a hole in one side of the points. They claim it reduces the heat build-up by giving it a place to vent.

Just an FYI thingy.....

Glad you got it purring again!

E.

MaineDad

Interesting. Did not know that.

I forgot to add that I changed the breather filter and gaskets, carb and fuel pump gaskets too.

linen beige

Hi Micah, Some manufacturers put a hole in one side of the points. They claim it reduces the heat build-up by giving it a place to vent.

Just an FYI thingy.....

Glad you got it purring again!

E.

Some of the older auto "racing points" had holes in them. Most were on the stationary side, if I remember right. Some had holes in both sides.

It not only reduces heat, but makes it easier to make sure the points are closing "square".

Seems like I recall that the points themselves had a slightly larger diameter, that yielded the same surface area as standard?

WheelHorse_of_course

Micah,

Nice work. Glad you are getng er done!

So what have you been using fro snow blowing in the past. This will be my first year using the blower. Will be with the Charger 12. I will use the 854 and blade for up to 3-4 inches and use the blower and Charger for the heavier storms.

I bet Sorekiwi would know about "racing points" :USA:

cheers :banghead:

MaineDad

I have been using the 314-8 with the single stage for the past few years. The 753 has always been used with the blade.

Now the C-160 will be hooked up with the snow thrower and the 314-8 will have the blade on. I'm hoping that the hydro will be quicker compared to the 8 speed. With the 8 speed I usually have to be in low 2 for the big storms and when I back up I have to shift out of low back into high etc. etc. - The 753 will now get the winters off :banghead:

sorekiwi

I bet Sorekiwi would know about "racing points" :omg:

Hell, I dont think I've worked on a race car with a distributor for 15 years (maybe 20....). And probably 10 since I've worked on one that doesnt have a coil sitting down the hole on top of each plug.

And when we have an engine problem, we go and get the engine guy (Cosworth right now) to plug his laptop in. He tells us its either OK, or we're changing engines...

IMG_1810.jpg

Sorry for going :banghead: :USA: