matthon

Repower wiring help

matthon

I have a 418-A and I put a Kohler Command 20 in it.

Everything is done, except I am not 100% clear on the wiring.

On the WH wiring diagram, everything matches up to what I have.

I looked through the Kohler manual and there are 3 versions of wiring, and none match the connector on the engine. All 3 have the Blue/Red, with 4 other wires, 2 of which are the same color: Fixed Timing, Variable Timing SMART, and DSAI Ignition and Key Switch.

My Kohler connector has Blue/Red, Purple/Red, White, and Green, (and the Blue wire is connected to the solenoid spade connector).

WH to Kohler - easy enough

Red >> Positive on the solenoid with the positive battery cable.

WH to Kohler Connector - not sure

1) Light Blue >> Blue/Red (Blue wire to solenoid spade)

2) Dark Blue Stripe (oil pressure switch) >> Green

3) Dark Blue (Mag) >> Purple/Red

4) White >> White

I should have the Light Blue wire going to the correct place, as the Kohler already has the Blue wire going to the solenoid. 

The Green wire on the Kohler, from what I can tell, comes out from behind the engine covers as the red wire on the oil pressure switch, but it is difficult to see.

Manual PTO removal

I removed the manual PTO, due to the lack of a proper bearing, and would like to replace with an electric at some point- to run a snowblower.

The Light Blue wire comes from 1 switch marked, “No contacts closed when PTO disengaged.â€

The Dark Blue wire comes from 1 switch marked, “No contacts open when PTO disengagedâ€

When the handle was on, both switches were engaged with the handle up.

With no PTO handle, what do you do with the wiring on the 2 switches?

How/where would I add an electric PTO in the future?

Any help would be greatly appreciated-  I am ready to fire this thing, yet I don't want to fry anything!

post-12780-0-78816300-1398791316_thumb.j

gwest_ca

Toro used an electric clutch on the 2002-2004 315-8 with a single cylinder Command engine so that wiring may help

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2813-tractor-2002-2003-315-8-wiring-detailed-492-4761pdf/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2813-tractor-2002-2003-315-8-wiring-detailed-492-4761pdf/

Do you have the Kohler wiring diagrams for the 20hp Kohler?

Garry

gwest_ca

The 315-8 is a poor choice for the pto wiring. The 1988 257-H model used the same ignition switch as the 418-A and an electric clutch. Here is the wiring

Garry

matthon

Yes, I have the Kohler 20 engine manual, with wiring diagrams.

There are 3 versions: Fixed Timing, Variable Timing SMART, and DSAI Ignition and Key Switch.

None match the connector on my engine.

Save Old Iron

Yes, I have the Kohler 20 engine manual, with wiring diagrams.

There are 3 versions: Fixed Timing, Variable Timing SMART, and DSAI Ignition and Key Switch.

None match the connector on my engine.

Which of the three types of engines do you believe is the variant that you are using ?

Save Old Iron

I would not worry about the COLOR of the wires as much as their FUNCTION.

A long as you match up regulator output to the proper part of the new tractor, who cares what color the regulator wire is.

Match up starter trigger wire to solenoid trigger terminal, magneto kill to ignition switch grounding M terminal. etc.

matthon

Yes, I agree. I am not worried about the color of the wires, just thought it might be helpful.

On the WH diagram, the white wire comes from DC Accessories on the switch, but I do not know its function?

The wire from the mag to the ignition, that also goes through the PTO switch, it appears since I do not have the manual PTO I should not connect those wires.

Also, the start wire that goes through the other PTO switch, I should connect those wires, or it will not start.

The Kohler engine wires are hidden so I started to take the bolts off to remove the covers but had to drop everything the other day.