Retired Wrencher

606/tranny.

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh:  I have a 606 when I bought it was very hard to push because it did not run. I was wondering what other models will fit this tractor . I am going to try and run some kerosene threw it to see if it will free it up. If not I need to look for another tranny. so any info would be helpful. I would like to keep it original in looks and function. Thanks Gary  B................

Terry M

The 606 has the 5053 model transmission.   I believe that same trans. is found in the mid sixties lawn rangers and short frames such as a 656, 856,857 and some others.   Maybe you just need to do a rebuild....I've done that myself and if I can do it, then almost anybody can do it.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Garry

Retired Wrencher

thanks Guys I will try the easy way first if it does not work at least I will know what direction to go in now. I am looking for another 606/607 and what the 68 model was. I just think they ran it dry for a while and things are a little tight. I do appreciate the info. Gary  B...................

stevasaurus

Terry is right.  You have a version of the regular 3-speed uni-drive.  Any of the early 2 piece transmissions (5007,5025,5046,5048,5049 and 5053) would look the same and bolt right in. :)  Take off the seat and pull the shifter...you can kind of look down in there and see what it looks like.  It is pretty easy to tear apart and clean and fix if you have too.  Threads with pictures and videos on this site.  :)

Put the horse up on blocks with a turkey tin-foil pan under the trans.  The seals are probably dry also and will leak if so.  You do not want a trail of diesel or kerosene threw your grass.  Start by turning the input pulley counter-clock wise in neutral...then in all of the gears by hand.  Hopefully, it will loosen up for you just doing that.

Retired Wrencher

thanks Steve Will  do. but first I have it on block just to see if it turns over. I have the original belt so if it breaks who cares.I will try to idle it forward and back then do your idea. Thanks again. Gary   B.............