Sign in to follow this  
tasmi01

Belt tensioner

tasmi01

I was woundering how hard it would be or what it may take to tighten the belt tension on the electro 12,I noticed once I got it up and running that the tractor can still roll after turning it off and pulling the tension lever up,which should also be the Parking brake.

kj4kicks

From what you described, the problem is internal in the uni-drive. There is a parking pawl inside that can get broken/bent easily if the handle is pulled up while the tractor is in motion.

The drive belt has a spring to keep tension on it when the lever is down.

kpinnc

I would agree with Eldon- If the belt dosen't slip during normal operation (tractor in motion), then the belt isn't the problem.

Underneath the belt tensioner pulley, there is a spring that pulls up on the parking brake "lever". I would check to see that it is pulling the lever up when you pull the disengagement lever up. But be careful- the last thing you want is to pull the park brake lever up enough to risk the brake assy to contact the gears in the tranny. You can definately damage the tranny if the brake "paws" rub the gears while the tractor is in motion.

I used the term "paws", because I don't know what to call the part that was used on the older hydrogear trannies. Unlike the newer C series machines that used an actual paw, the older units used a simpler "band" or "clip" that engages the gear to provide a parking brake.

Here's the old style "clip":

untitled-3.jpg

And the newer "paw":

untitled2.jpg

Sorry for the small pics. For some reason, I can't re-size them...

On one of my hydrogears, that "clip" had rubbed against the gears for some time, and though it was not enough to break anything, it did produce alot of metal slivers that luckily were large enough to be captured by the screen and filter. I say luckily because such things could destroy the pump on a hydrostactic tranny... Anyway, the gear wore a notch out of the clip, which meant for it to engage, the brake lever needed to be raised somewhat higher.

If your park brake has that kind of wear, then you may need to use a shorter spring to pull the brake lever up higher to get it to engage. But I would caution against driving it until you're sure it doesn't rub the gears during normal operation... May be best to block the rear wheels off of the ground and turn the wheels by hand. Any binding would be a bad sign...

Hope this helps...

Kevin

tasmi01

Thanks guys I'll look into it and keep you posted on what I find. :USA: :banghead: