6wheeler

UPDATE- 230v Compressor

6wheeler

Finally got to the bottom of the issue. Called the motor doctor and he said bring it back, we must have missed something. Turns out that the wiring (although will be upgraded) was not the issue. He said although it should be 10ga. the 12ga. should run it. Also, NO mag. switch for this bad boy. His words "Back in them days, there wasn't such a thing. No-one had soft starts then. It was bam on an bam off. must be some issue with er' windings. Bring er' back, I'll get er' up an runnin'. So, back it will go on monday. I put in the new wiring last night. When it comes back? I'll be ready. I hope it works this time. My back is getting tired lugging that 100 pound pig around.

HorseFixer

Great news! :handgestures-thumbupright:  Glad yer heading in the right direction with it. And I agree 22 amps should be 10 ga just to be on the safe side.  Question what did he do to the motor in the first place? :dunno:  Did he take it apart?    I wonder if something is  messed up on the centrifugal switch?  :eusa-think:  One thing for sure,  in my experience  when you see smoke in anything electrical you have problems. :angry-extinguishflame:   And it usually is not good. I hope it turns out ok for you a man has gotta have a compressor in his shop. :)  As mentioned earlier what's your voltage reading?

~Duke 

squonk

I'd love to know what the inrush current of a compressor that has a running amp spec of 22 amps.!! :)  :scratchead:  :scared-eek:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

I'd love to know what the inrush current of a compressor that has a running amp spec of 22 amps.!! :)  :scratchead:  :scared-eek:

Yeah me too.    :)     :jaw:     :scared-shocked:  

~Duke  :wh:

KC9KAS

A good friend of mine always says that electrical devices operate on smoke, and when the smoke comes out of them, they are shot!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

A good friend of mine always says that electrical devices operate on smoke, and when the smoke comes out of them, they are shot!

:handgestures-thumbupright:   You have a pretty smart friend!  :dance:  

~Duke  :wh:

Racinbob

I must have missed something on the issue here but I'd say the 22 amps at 220 volts is full load amps and it's a 5 hp. You do want #10 and, as suggested, check the voltage to make sure it's not low.

6wheeler

I must have missed something on the issue here but I'd say the 22 amps at 220 volts is full load amps and it's a 5 hp. You do want #10 and, as suggested, check the voltage to make sure it's not low.

110v on each leg. When fired up w/o any load on it, then it ran fine. Which would be great if I only wanted to watch the motor run. The work done on the motor was, Replace bearings, replace 4 start capacitors, replace 2 run capacitors. Check all internal wires and winding, Check and service cent. start switch. I would like to know what it draws amp- wise too. But I don't know how to check that.

Racinbob

I did a search for your original post and found it. If I'm reading it correctly you have #12 run from the panel to the outlet the compressor is plugged into. That could be the problem because it should be #10 but then again, your motor won't be running at 22 fla. The start up surge can be a bear though. I'm assuming the unloader on the compressor is working OK? To check the amperage you need the proper meter. It will have jaws that open up and clamp around one wire. They are readily available and one that would suit you isn't too expensive. Can you move the compressor closer to the panel and try it out? With #12 you will have voltage drop and that will cause the amperage to rise, causing more voltage drop, even higher current draws.....it just compounds itself. Something in what you've posted makes me thing there might still be a problem with the compressor. Your voltage sounds OK. 220/230/240 is nominal (across the legs). It's very hard to troubleshoot something like this from afar. The first thing I'd do is get the power feed corrected and then see what happens. If there's still a problem then we go to the next step.

• Like 1

shorts

When I was working with standby power systems we always sized the genset @ 3 times the amperage of the largest single running load, start that motor first and then add in the other ones in sequence by rating, large to small to compensate for the inrush amperage when starting under load like a compressor does.

6wheeler

Ok, Here's what we got so far. Changed the wiring to 10/2 w/g. Motor doctor called today. 1 run capacitor bad. He has had a couple of those lately. All capacitors are fine now. Windings check out ok. He re-adjusted the governor and ran it under load. He said he overloaded it and it kept running even while laboring and didn't get hot. Picking it up tomorrow and fingers crossed, it will work.