nyquil junkie

Changing the oil in an 856 3 sp

nyquil junkie

I have no clue....  How do you drain it and where do you fill it? With how much? I assume you use standard 80-90 gear oil.

I've never changed it but thr whole trator is getting an overhaul, new engine, tires, ect ect for spring work. It probably needs changed.

I'd apreciate some input on how to do it so I dont screw it up.

nyquil junkie

thanks!

nyquil junkie

I read this right... SAE40wt motor oil goes in the transmission?

it says "a good grade of SAE 40 oil...about 3 pints"

I assume that means motor oil.... never heard of putting motor oil in a gearbox.

:eusa-think:

slammer302

80/90 at will work just fine

Meant wt

rmaynard

I read this right... SAE40wt motor oil goes in the transmission?

it says "a good grade of SAE 40 oil...about 3 pints"

I assume that means motor oil.... never heard of putting motor oil in a gearbox.

:eusa-think:

In 1998, Wheel Horse (Toro) published a chart showing belts and lubes for all models. The chart shows the following lubrication info for your 856. Please note at the top the line that says "some lubricant recommendations have been updated and will not agree with your owners manual"

post-2221-0-97972100-1397819092_thumb.pn

Also, just in case you haven't found it, there is a drain plug on the bottom left rear of the transmission. It is a plug that is removed with a 1/4" Allen wrench. It is usually missed because it is covered with a mixture of oil and dirt. Clean all the junk out of the hole so the wrench goes all the way in. All of my transmissions that do not have a dip stick/fill hole, I remove the shifter and pour the fluid in there.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

nyquil junkie

So in 66 they said motor oil, and updated it later to gear oil.

Gotcha.

What came out was definitely not gear oil, it has no odor, its motor oil. I bet it hasn't been changed in 40 yrs.

Oh I found the plug....and he fill plug on the backside.

When I pulled the drain plug it drained out 2+ quarts of nice clean clear.....water.

Followed by a cup of thick brown sludge. No gear oil stank, its motor oil.

I should have done this when I bought it but didn't. Oh well.

No shavings, no rust.... the water was clear so I will flush the case a few times with motor oil till it drains clean and hen refill with gear oil. I am not gonna crack this case.

I can pick up engineless old wheel horses cheap if this gearbox dies on me, or maybe I will crack it and check it out over the winter.

Its not leaking nor does it shift badly or pop out of gear, it hasn't been used for a long time so any damage should be minimal.

This happened in another old tractor I had, it took about 3 oil changes before it drained clean again, and that one was used hard for years after and we had no issues with it.

Remove the shifter? That would make life easier how do ya do that?

Edited by nyquil junkie

rmaynard

In the front of the hole where the shifter is installed is a dog-point set screw with a locking nut on it. It too uses and Allen wrench. Can't remember the size. Back off the nut and back out the set screw. The shifter will lift right out. Be sure you are in neutral when you do it. It will make for easier re-installation. Note the small hole in the large ball of the shifter. That is where the dog-point goes when you re-install. Tighten the set screw until the shifter is slightly difficult to move, then back off the set-screw a little and tighten down the nut. Test to see that you can shift into all gears. Put a new rubber boot on to keep future water out.

nyquil junkie

Sweet. Thanks.

There is no boot, so I know where the water came from when it got left out in the weather a while ago.

It was tarped but the goats stole the tarp and shredded it and of course.....I didn't replace it.

Better order a new boot.....

rmaynard

...the goats stole the tarp...

:ROTF:

Good luck with the project. The 856 is a great little tractor. I am currently refreshing my 857 and just this morning drained the transmission. No water in mine though, but not much oil either. So I have some seals to inspect.

nyquil junkie

Might be an 855, they are hard to tell apart in my eye anyway. Same difference.

I flushed the box and it didnt seem to have much crud, I stuck an inspection camera down the shift hole, it looks fairly clean and the gears I can see all look fine. The ones I can get a nice close look at dont seem to be worn to badly for their age. A little clean oil and it should be fine for a few more decades.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

But just one very bad thing... well two.

I stepped in a bucket of waste gasoline I was washing parts in.  The cement floor is covered in cat litter now. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

and that litle dog point set scew and nut broke in half. Now its a nut and two pieces. I fabricared a crude copy with a longer bolt, to keep the shifter in place but its a little lose, so I have to sit down with a micrometer and a few other toys and make a copy that is closer to the original dog point.

Please tell me this thing can be bought somewhere. I think its a harder grade steel than a basic bolt of that size. If I have to use what I have I may have to keep check on it.

• Like 1

posifour11

It was tarped but the goats stole the tarp

Mine do that, too. Mine also love feed sacks suddenly.

rmaynard

The dog-point set screw is available from Toro, part number 1239. They are also available from sources such as McMaster & Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/#92505a542/=rlgw22

nyquil junkie

Very cool thanks for the part number.... they are also on ebay.

I cleaned up the one I made it should last till I can get a new one.

Bobster

neat thread

• Like 1