stratostar250

k241 running rough/fuel spitting out of carb

stratostar250

Hey all, so yesterday I was riding my c105 around my back yard, which I recently got to run decently.  I drove up a steep part of my backyard, and all of a sudden it began to run kind of rough.  After some tinkering and observing, here's how I can explain what happens.

The tractor ran smooth with no real hiccups, and now, while cold or hot, will run fine for about 5-7 seconds, and then it will run rough for about 1-2 seconds.  I had taken the air cleaner off after noticing some drips from it, and while running, the moments when it runs rough, it is spitting gas out of the carb.  Gas also seems to run out of the carb after the tractor has been shut off for a few moments (but I could be wrong).  I have read things about stuck floats, clogged exhausts, and a few other odds and ends.  I took the bowl off the carb and the float doesn't seem to be stuck, and while running, I put my hand over the exhaust and it seems like it is blowing plenty of exhaust out.  I am honestly quite capable of doing things, but I'm just new to messing with engines and don't know all that much.  I have ordered a carb kit and plan on removing the carb to clean it and replace the things the kit comes with just as a start.  I appreciate any input you all can contribute! You guys are just so full of info that I have no idea about! :notworthy: I just hope it is nothing too serious.   :pray:

:thanks:

Lane Ranger

I had a carb on a B-80 tractor that did just about the same thing.  I took the carb off and removed the bowl   -turning upside down to not to lose any parts, etc.   The bowl had some yellow gunk down on the inside of the bottom of the bowl.    When I inspected closer the yellow gunk appeared to be something like J.B> Weld that some previous owner had put in to cover holes in the bowl.  Holes may have come from fuel, ethanol, sitting whatever -I don't know but I knew right away this was the problem I was having.  The eight HP  Kohler engine carbs are harder to find than the 10 but this might be one of the problems with yours!

• Like 1

rmaynard

Sounds to me like you have a serious flooding condition caused by a hole in the float. That is why when the bowl is removed, it appears to be working. But if it is filled with gas, it won't rise to close the float valve on it's own. Remove the float and see if it has a hole in it. If it does, fix or replace it. If it doesn't, go ahead and replace the float valve and gaskets. The #26 carburetor on the K241 is a pretty dependable one, and flooding is not usually a problem unless there is a condition as described.

• Like 2

stratostar250

Thanks guys! I appreciate the ideas! I plan on removing the carb soon and checking it out! I'll post back here if I figure anything out!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

stratostar250

So, I think I have found my problem! :happy-partydance:   Today, I took the carb apart, slowly and kept an eye out for any problems.  I found two quite large pieces of dirt under the float valve sitting in the seat :thingy:  after i removed the float valve. I'm sure that these pieces of dirt were not allowing the valve to close and stop the fuel from flowing, hence my uncontrollable flooding problem.  My float seems to not be rotted thru at all, but, I am not too sure how much more time it has, it seems as if it has seen better days.  I am going to try to find a carb dunk can, and clean the carb, and then replace a few of the parts as I got the kit, and then  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:  and put it all back together and it should work fine, hopefully!  I appreciate you all for your input and ideas though.  :text-thankyouyellow: 

In the attached picture, are my two "dirty" culprits.  :laughing-rofl:

post-12245-0-34718800-1398207169_thumb.j

rmaynard

Your float doesn't look too bad to me. Here's a little trick you might want to try.

Take a glass bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of salt, and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar together. Mix until the salt is dissolved and you have a nice paste. Get an old toothbrush and start brushing the mixture all over the float. Rinse it off with water and you will have a nice shiny float. Might take a couple of doses, but it's a cheap way to make old brass look new.

Take before and after pictures for us.

• Like 2

stratostar250

Your float doesn't look too bad to me. Here's a little trick you might want to try.

Take a glass bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of salt, and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar together. Mix until the salt is dissolved and you have a nice paste. Get an old toothbrush and start brushing the mixture all over the float. Rinse it off with water and you will have a nice shiny float. Might take a couple of doses, but it's a cheap way to make old brass look new.

Take before and after pictures for us.

I'll give this a try! Thanks! I'll most def. post before and after pics. 

stratostar250

So, I did as you said, and have before and after pics.  Thanks for the idea!  It was only about 10-15 min of brushing. Not sure how much cleaner I could get it though.  And it seems to almost be somewhat copper after cleaning, unless if I scrubbed too hard? Is that possible on a float?  :eusa-think: I've never cleaned one before, but regardless, it does look much much better. 

You can click on the pics for better detail.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Before: 

post-12245-0-46292100-1398217662_thumb.j

post-12245-0-77026900-1398217666_thumb.j

After:

post-12245-0-94795000-1398217670_thumb.j

post-12245-0-44052700-1398217676_thumb.j

stratostar250

Well, today I gave the carb a cleaning, replaced all the parts that come in the kit, the needle valve, the gaskets, ect, and put the carb back on the tractor, and she's working great again, with no hiccups!  Thanks for guys insight and such! :handgestures-thumbupright:

rmaynard

:thumbs:  Great to hear a happy ending to the story.

• Like 1