Gunny

K301 Rebuild advice

Gunny

Have a K301 that came on one of the WHs I picked up last year.  Finally got around to working the engine.  Took it in to my local Machine shop (a reputable chap, and an old Kohler guy), yesterday informed me it was a basket case....Crank needs turned, cylinder is a little less than 30 over at the bottom and 20 over at the top, (due to an apparent PO, hone job)  The answer to this is:  Bore cylinder 30 over, new piston, rod, rings, turn the crank, all gaskets, and re-assembled.  Approximately $500.00 for everything, all kohler parts.  Due to K series engines being scarce in our area, would this be a fair amount to pay?  Looking for an option. 

KATO

That would be fair in my neck of the woods.

oldredrider

Since it is doubtful that you could buy a new 12hp engine that will last as long as your K301, that is not a high price to pay.

Stretch the cost over 20-30 years and it's pretty cheap.

Another option is to sleeve it back to original bore and it will outlive you.

Fordiesel69

500 including parts and labor assuming the machine work is done correctly is a bargain.

slammer302

Sounds good

MalMac

Using Kohler parts and including machining. That's right in the ball park. It will be good for another 30 yrs. Go price a new engine. That price will make you feel pretty good about having it rebuilt. I had close to that in a couple I rebuilt and I did the disassemble and reassembly.

can whlvr

go for it,you wont be disappointed