zelinadc

Tie rod ends & Clutch rod bushings - 68 Lawn Ranger

zelinadc

Hello Everyone,

First timer here! I had the fortunate luck to come across a 1968 Lawn Ranger tucked away in a shed. It was my girlfriend's grandfather's machine he bought new. He passed away and I was asked if I wanted it. It did not run, but the metal was all in very good shape! The deck in missing parts but my focus now is the chassis engine. I was going to rebuild the old Techy, but decided on replacing the engine, with the caveot of NO SHEETMETAL cutting and use the original gas tank. I replaced the engine with a brand new B&S and used the original gas tank. This required, custom tank brackets, custom welded exhaust manifold (stainless steel) and some minor mods to the air filter housing. I've got the old girl running and driving with a new heart. Not a single piece of the sheetmetal was touched.

Ill post pictures soon! 

I tore it all down yesterday to begin cleaning, sanding, blasting, etc (using the rusteloeum regal red - beautiful color)

1- I have broken tie rod ends - any hints on where I can get replacments?

2 - The clutch rod is worn, I will fab a repacement. Have any of you guys used bronze bearings like 1/2 x 5/8, to improve its fit and life?

Again, I'll post some pics soon. The gas tank is rotated 90D on a custom bracket, mounted to the B&S, and pokes through the original hole in the hood :)

Dave

gwest_ca

Service bulletin on the tie rods

Garry

on my `68 lawn ranger i got some 3/8" heim ends and made new tie rods from  5/8"  1018 bar stock

roscoemi

We bought greaseable ends and rods from McMaster Carr for both our tractors. I also put a bronze bushing on the steering column where it pokes up from the dash, much better than the nylon one it replaced. That regal red is nice, used it on our tractors too.

zelinadc

Thanks for the feedback! Time to start cleaning and painting.

Pictures

post-12603-0-71080200-1397734977.jpg

post-12603-0-77166500-1397734978.jpg

post-12603-0-69677300-1397734979.jpg

post-12603-0-10535400-1397734980.jpg

post-12603-0-50749600-1397734980.jpg

Zeek

There are tons of tie rods for different WH models on eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wheel-horse-tie-rod

I just purchased a new set for my Raider 12.  They are better quality than the factory rods.

You can sort of see them in this picture.  I painted mine to match.

DSC08157_zpse2f1ad1c.jpg

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

zelinadc

Zeek - thanks for the info! Where did you get the flanged bearing for the steering shaft?

KATO

Heres a link to a manual for your tractor

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/808-tractor-1968-lawn-ranger-1-1631-1-2631-om-ipl-wiring-317a-318apdf/

I dont see it in the pics but its probably the same as the other tractors part #6472 side flange bearing available at many places :handgestures-thumbupright:

if not some one will let us know

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchresults.cfm?cx=008737122150761418589:c24nnqwh7co&cof=FORID:11&q=6472

and WELCOME TO :rs:

Zeek

Zeek - thanks for the info! Where did you get the flanged bearing for the steering shaft?

That's the factory part, I just polished her up a bit.