SousaKerry

A tale of 3 engines

SousaKerry

Well it all starts with an HH60 I had in the Wife's Lawn Ranger, I rebuilt this engine last winter and while it ran fine it smoked something terrible.  So I tear it down hoping for a simple fix.  Well I was wrong bore was just too big for the rings to make up, oversize pistons are scarce as hens teeth and priced to match so no sense in throwing good money after bad engines. 

Time for a Kohler

I thought I had 2 Kohler K-181's so I took one to work, cause it had less oil on it, and start to tear it down crank was tore up pretty bad and had some holes drilled in it as well so I quickly grabbed the crank out of the second engine.  Had the whole lot sitting in the hot tank at work for several days and start cleaning things up that's when things get worse.  Found a crack in the block that had been welded, badly. then I go to mic the bore and low and behold it is not an 8HP it is an early 7HP with the 2 7/8 bore not the later 2 15/16 bore.  

So in comes Engine number 3 (already stole the crank.)  I mic the bore and it is about .012" over so we will hone it and see what happens.  The thing is covered in grease and oil so who knows what is hiding underneath.

post-4531-0-58703900-1397494845_thumb.jp

post-4531-0-93848200-1397494867_thumb.jp

Desko

WOW!!! Poor engines

Lane Ranger

Looks like you were in our old engine storage shed !

AMC RULES

So...what's going to happen to the original Techy now? 

SousaKerry

Oh I will probobly throw it back together as is and let it collect dust in storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

slammer302

I'm with you I have a shelf full of h60's and one hh60 and one k91 and a hand full of k181 I keep telling myself I will rebuild one but the ones that are in use keep plugging along