JamesBe1

Lawn Vac Parts

JamesBe1

Hi,

I have a C-145 with a 07-42VC01 lawn vac.  Last fall, my lawn vac sucked up a rock and bent one of the impeller vanes.  Luckily it was the last cut of the season.  Now that spring has rolled around, I have to fix it.

I am having a lot of trouble getting the pulley off of the impeller shaft.  I haven't mangled it yet, but it'll probably end up that way.  I soaked it in penetrating oil for a couple of days and used lots of heat.  I have succeeded in getting the impeller shaft to move about 1/4 inch.  The end of the shaft is now even with the face of the pulley.  I can't get it to move any further.  Any ideas??

I have the feeling that I am going to have to get out the sawzall and cut it off in pieces.  But - where do I get a replacement?  It's discontinued from toro, not that I would be inclined to pay their crazy prices.  Along the way, I noticed another pulley that isn't very straight, and have been looking for a replacement for it.  It's available from toro and other places, but it's $80 - $100.  For a pulley??

The pulley I am looking for is a 102530 - Impeller Pulley, and the second Pulley I am looking for is a 107792 - Impeller Pulley.

Anybody got a cross-reference to something affordable?  Any help before the grass starts getting long will be a big help.

Thanx in advance,

James

JamesBe1

Ok, before yous guys yell at me for not figuring it out myself (deservedly so), I was able to find several pulleys on the net with the dimensions that I need: 3/4" shaft with 4" OD.  Northern tool has them for 16.99 ea and ebay has them for 7.08 each.  Tractor Supply might even have them too (I haven't checked yet).

Now, here's the new wrinkle.  The bolts that held the bearing in place came loose and allowed it to flop around with just one bolt holding it.  After comparing it to a spare vacuum I had in the corner, the bearings are totally different.  The toro bearings are two bolt type, and the ones that I have are 4 bolt type w/grease fittings (much sturdier).

It looks as though someone had replaced the original bearings with the 4 bolt type, and installed it on the inside of the flange (I'll see if I can post pictures later).  But . . . they installed spacers to hold the bearing off of the flange because it wouldn't fit properly.

I looked around for the original bearing (2 bolt type), but I can't find any that have a 2&7/8" 2-bolt pattern.  I guess that's why someone upgraded to the better bearing.

Anyone have any idea where I can find toro bearing 107791?  It is for a 3/4" shaft with a 2-bolt 2&7/8" c-c bolt pattern?

If all else fails, I can hunt down some spacers for the 4-bolt bearing.  Three of the four are lost somewhere in my yard.  I don't think I'm ever going to see them again.

Oh, and the spare vacuum that I have suffers from the same bent vane problem.  Actually, both of the vanes seem to be in worse condition than the one I have on the mower.

c-series don

I have lots of vacuum parts let me check. One thing I don't have though is a new impeller. Give me a day or two.

JamesBe1

Thanx Don.  I figured that I would have to put no my blacksmith hat and beat the old impeller back into shape.

BTW, I ordered a couple of pulleys on ebay.  I just have the bearing issue to sort out.

james

c-series don

Ok your in luck I have them new and used. Call or text me 631 466 0053 and I can send you a picture to make sure we are on the same page. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

JamesBe1

Thanx Don.  No hurry.  It was a real pain, but I finally got the impeller out today.  I'll be working on straightening out the blade for a while before I start putting it back together.  Then some light welding on a couple of spots and I suppose I'll degrease it and repaint it while it is off of the tractor.

The retrofit bearings that somebody put on it are heavy duty with a grease fitting.  The only problem is that one of them needs to be stood off an inch or two.  Three of the stand-offs that they were using disappeared into my lawn last fall.  I can either find new stand-offs to go with the heavy duty bearings or use the oem bearings.  I'm kinda inclined to use the heavy duty bearing if I can fab some stand-offs.  But, I'd probably like to pick up a spare set of bearings (just in case) if yours are not too expensive.

I'll be in contact in the next couple of weeks.

james

c-series don

Ok I have some complete units and parts. Not actively looking to sell stuff but saw your post and thought I could help. I probably will have this stuff for a long time so store my number. Good luck hope all works out if I don't hear from you. Thank you for your service to our great country.

JamesBe1

Thanx Don. 

It's great to know that I have a backup in case I can't figure a way through.  I think I have it pretty much figured out.  Now that I have it off of the tractor, I am taking the opportunity to clean and repaint it.  Three of the four welds that hold the impeller housing on the frame broke.  I picked up a cheap welder and figured that this would be a good time to teach myself to weld.  Unfortunately, the welder came pre-broken, and I am delayed.

Oh, and I was able to pound the impeller vane back into shape after I got it out.  I hope it is still balanced enough - we'll see.  If it disintegrates, I may be calling you up for spare parts!

Thanx for helping out a vet.

james