wheeledhorseman

New dashboard for the 316-8

wheeledhorseman

During the couple of years I've had the 316 it's been undergoing a program of gradual improvement rather than a full on resto. The dashboard project began over a year ago with me sending some photos and dimensions to Mark for the decals.

post-4509-0-16120300-1397337192_thumb.jp

Didn't want the tractor out of action during the mowing season so perhaps in Autumn (Fall), which turned to Winter, and two dump cart restos later, finally Spring. The decals came with the dump cart order so having completed the trailers thought I'd best crack on with it or the tractor will be out mowing again.

First thing was to test that the tachometer would work with the Onan, which it did, just needing to be calibrated against a hand held optical tacho (just out of view to the right).

post-4509-0-80898000-1397337581_thumb.jp

The next step was to fab a new dash panel from a piece of recycled WH. I really can't recall what it came from but it was the right thickness, the right width, and it was even possible to utilise two of the holes already in it.

post-4509-0-20499600-1397337823_thumb.jp

A bit of drilling, cutting, filing and painting later things were taking shape.

post-4509-0-30858900-1397337896_thumb.jp

My original intention was to reuse the engine hours meter and voltmeter but visually the original voltmeter looked out of place so I got a matching Durite voltmeter from the marine range. I also fitted a new ignition switch to replace the one that a PO had added a screw in eye to relace a lost key - result a key wouldn't operate the switch any longer.

It was always going to be a tight fit but the measurements taken said it should.

post-4509-0-53013200-1397338210_thumb.jp

and it did (just) though adding the connections to the main wiring harness was challenging given my chunky mechanic's fingers (sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse).

The net result is, I think, good - just got to do the top panel with all the warning lights next but I suspect that will have to wait till Autumn now.

post-4509-0-06582200-1397338976_thumb.jp

post-4509-0-15474700-1397338992_thumb.jp

Re the ignition switch, having had an aftermarket switch fail after little over a year on another tractor, I ve taken to getting these from the US. Choose the right supplier and even with shipping its no more expensive, and they're by the OEM, Indak - even have the correct letter codes for the terminals.

Andy

• Like 7

meadowfield

Looks damn tidy Andy! Gonna have to get my tacho mounted soon...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Very nicely done...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

looks like it came from the  :wh: factory

Sparky

You wont catch me doing that to any of my tractors.....for sure I would knock into a tree cause I was staring at those awesome gages and not looking where I was headed!

Great work!

Mike..........

• Like 1

Stigian

Nice work Andy, those gauges look right at home :handgestures-thumbup:

I need to fit a rev counter to my 6x6, it would be interesting to see what the engine speeds do when it's under load and turning..

formariz

Very nice work ,one would never know that it's not original to tractor.

Zeek

Nice job, makes a BIG difference.

Anglo Traction

Top Job Andy :handgestures-salute:  . So the next job is the Top Dash Panel in the Autumn,........................ followed by the rest of the Tractor ???? :handgestures-thumbupleft: