Nathanielperz

Paint removing

Nathanielperz

Hey guys im hoping to start the process of restoring my 1276 in a few weeks but I need some tips on how to get the paint off. I have sanders and stuff but I don't want to sand through the metal. I don't have a big enough air compressor for a sand blaster, or so my dad says. ( I did see these plans to make a sandblast with a Gatorade bottle) you guys got any tips for me?

Thanks in advance- Nate

redrooster

I combined two smaller air compressors to give me enough capacity for a hand held sand blaster. You can save a lot of time and get all the nooks and crannies that sanding misses.

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Cool thank you I don't know how to do that but I will tell my father.

Nate

redrooster

Just put a tee in the outlet of one unit and tie them together. Any questions ask me.

Nathanielperz

ok I will thank you

Nate

C-101plowerpower

you could also use empty gas bottlel/tanks as an aditional airtank

Koen

• Like 1

JT Burkard

I am no expert but i have done some paint prep on cars in the past. I don't think you should have any worries about the sander going through the metal. A palm sander would work fine. Just make sure you use the right grade sand paper. A wire wheel would be ideal for you. I actually just started removing paint from the frame of my GMC General semi tractor with a wire wheel on a drill. That will work very well for your application. Easy to use and you won't have to keep changing sandpaper out.

Wishin4a416

I always start with aircraft stripper available at most auto parts stores. Then to the blaster or sander depending on size. I am lucky that at work we have a good hood with lots of air draw for stripping. If you use stripper, take the proper precautions!