oldlineman

muffler noise

oldlineman

Hi all just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem? 414-8 M14S, spec. 601540. I have a noise inside my muffler. Sounds like loose parts,never heard it when mowing( I use hearing protection), but rolled the yard and ran at half throttle and heard it. Doesn't seem to restrict the exhaust any. Anyone ever open muffler and remove what is loose? Muffler is in excellent shape otherwise.New one would be very expensive I guess. Just wondered if anyone else has run into this problem and any easy fixes.  Thank you Bob     

64s

I had the same problem on a 312.  I thought it was a broken baffle or pipe, so I took a STRONG magnet and dragged it around the outside to see if I could pull whatever was broken around.  It would also tell me what area the problem might be located in.  Unfortunately I got no answer so I took the muffler off and shook it, and there was the rattle.  A rock got in the muffler.  Was it an accident (pretty hard for a rock to fly perfectly into the muffler output) or was it one of my daughters just wasting time?  Either way the problem was solved. 

• Like 1

leeave96

Sounds like some of the guts of your muffler have rusted loose.