matthon

19.5 Kohler replacement

matthon

Would this 19.5 engine swap in place of a M18 by just changing minor things, intake, exhaust, fuel line path, etc?

post-12780-0-57615000-1397194865.jpg

stevebo

That looks to me like a vertical shaft motor so nope...

matthon

That is what I thought, as it has Craftsman on it.

I got this new pic, it looks like it mounts the same way as the one in my WH, and if I swap the intake/carb so it sits on top it would work.

post-12780-0-43401800-1397218861.jpg

Edited by matthon

bmsgaffer

Just make sure it has the dipstick coming up to the top (as you would put it in the wheel horse). Vertical and horizontal engines have different oil pan configurations (and some can be reconfigured, but its not simple).

Also, I'm not sure if this is legend or truth (havent found any threads with hard evidence, but I havent looked that hard), but some configurations do not have the proper bearings to work well with the manual PTO clutches. They put a LOT of horizontal pressure on the engine towards the flywheel.

Also, make sure it is 1 1/8" shaft and about 3.5" long i think to work correctly. Some have used a shaft collar from a 8hp to go from 1" shaft to 1.125" for the drive pulley and pto, but length has to be right as far as I know.

pfrederi

Just make sure it has the dipstick coming up to the top (as you would put it in the wheel horse). Vertical and horizontal engines have different oil pan configurations (and some can be reconfigured, but its not simple).

Also, I'm not sure if this is legend or truth (havent found any threads with hard evidence, but I havent looked that hard), but some configurations do not have the proper bearings to work well with the manual PTO clutches. They put a LOT of horizontal pressure on the engine towards the flywheel.

Also, make sure it is 1 1/8" shaft and about 3.5" long i think to work correctly. Some have used a shaft collar from a 8hp to go from 1" shaft to 1.125" for the drive pulley and pto, but length has to be right as far as I know.

Brandon is right.  You have to look up the engine spec number on the Kohler parts web site.  Look for ball bearing crank shaft bearing (doubtful) or a needle bearing thrust washer on the PTO end of the crank.  If neither is there the end loading of the manual PTO is all against a couple of tiny flanges on the sleeve type crank bearings.  Will not last long.  A electric PTO is the answer in that case,  (no end loading).

matthon

I found a Kohler CH20S for sale, horizontal engine, 592 hours, removed from a troy bilt gtx 20 garden tractor. 1 1/8" pto ( muffler side) and 1" on the fly wheel side, and the fly wheel side is removable with 4 bolts. Also stated the electric clutch has been removed for separate sale, which probably means it needs the electric PTO.

I will use my WH for plowing and snow blowing, so the electric PTO would be needed. I checked the Kohler website and could not locate this engine to make sure it needs the electric PTO.

Has anyone ever swapped one of these engines into an older WH?

I have a 418A.

Edited by matthon

pfrederi

I looked up CH20 on Kohler ...not knowing Spec number I went with a spec for MTD (they build Troy-bilts I believe)  The crank shaft says non-thrust....  Looked at crankcase didn't see and ball bearing or thrust bearing...I would go with electric.

post-1023-0-63471500-1397913229_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-37040300-1397913241.jpg

matthon

I tried to find it on their website, no luck. I read on here that it is possible that at some point the Command engines either got rid of the thrust bearing, or possibly changed to electric PTO in order to comply with new standards to stop the blades faster and stop them when in reverse. This is new to me, so I really don't know what is the correct info.

It appears it will work, just not sure if my drive pully will work, or the one that came off the Command, or something else.

I see a few Honda repowers, and the engines appear to be similar to the Commands, at least visibly, but I have not found many Command swaps.

post-12780-0-64028700-1397916403.jpg

post-12780-0-79068800-1397916413.jpg

Edited by matthon

matthon

Found it using the spec number, you are correct, non-thrust.

Still, looks like a good engine.

pfrederi

It is on their web site but I do not see any thrust bearings   Listed under Gardenway (I don't remember when MTD took over..)  Still loks like electric PTO.  I put one on a KT17 that came out of a JD, they only specd sleeve bearings as they used electric PTOs.  Runs the sweepster without any problems

post-1023-0-28624500-1397920004_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-37735400-1397920014_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-53543600-1397920244_thumb.jp