Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

GT14 questions found one for sale.

rustyoldjunk

i stopped by a place today where i had know for years an older gentalman had owned wheel horses.turns out the gentalman had passed on and the tractors are for sale.theres a GT14 that appears to have been garaged most of the time since new and has been sitting in the garage since or before 2003.he bought it new and right before he stopped using it the local wheel horse dealer ( where he bought

) rebuilt the transaxle and replaced the 14hp engine with a 16hp (the muffler barely looks used.he also had the spindles replaced, he replaced one rear tire with a loader style and one front (still looks brand new).there is stuff piled all over this tractor in the garage but i moved enough stuff to see the seat looks like new (from best i could tell).it doesnt have the 3 point on the back.the son says this is a manual lift tractor? i thought the GT14's had hydro lift? overall the tractor looks to be in pretty good condition.he will take $600,sound like a decent price? oh it comes with a mower deck thats on it and a snow plow thats "back in the field".they said when they bought the place they had aprox 70 loads of fill dirt hauled in and this is the tractor he used to level it all.he also has a D200 with canopy and front end loader but its in horrible shape it has sat in the same spot so long saplings close to two inches around have grown up around it,its completely surface rusted the engine which went bad is "in the shed somewhere with stuff piled on it and the the front bucket is out back "somewhere,if its still there,not sure if dad sold it or not".one other tractor he had that intrigued me but i didnt get to see because "its in that shed covered up so people cant see it" was a "20hp twin wheel horse dad bought new in 2003 and haerdly ever used,its still brand new".he wants pretty big money for the rough D,i didnt get a price for the 2003 20hp twin.if anyone is interested pm me and i will get the info back to you.mainly though im looking for answers about the GT14,as im seriously considering buying it.what years were they built,good points,bad?did they have hydro lift?does anyone know the wheelbase?sorry about the long ramble.

Jim_M

If it's in good shape $600.00 would be a reasonable price. The were built from 69 to 73 and they all had hydraulic lift. If it has electronic ignition, I personally consider that a weak point, but it's easy to convert them over to points.

The attachments were pretty specific to that tractor and can be hard to find. I don't like the placement of the hydro lever, but if I used the tractor more often I'm sure I would get used to it. Be careful not to damage the gas tank, they're pretty hard to find too.

They are a heavy tractor and get excellent traction. They're also real powerhouses.

rustyoldjunk

thanks Jim.i forgot to mention he said the dealer replaced the original gas tank with a new plastic one like the original and it has all new belts too.well this was all new several years ago when it was parked in the garage and left.

pond195520032003

what kind of money is big for the D-200 with loader :banghead: is it something you want :USA:

wh500special

Sounds like a fair price to me for the GT14. If it's as nice as you say it looks I can't see you going wrong with it.

I'm pretty close to you and would be interested in the 2003 Twin. When/if you find anything else out about it let me know. It probably isn't a 520 though since I think they went away before the turn of the millenium though. I'd guess a model 270 lawn tractor. Doesn't matter, I might be interested anyway.

Good luck with that GT!

Steve

rustyoldjunk

greg the D is a very rough carcass of a machine.he said he had turned $300 down and told me he knew the transaxle was worth $1000 and he said the rear tires (dry rotted to the point i dont know if they would hold air) are worth over a hundred apiece.i would assume that the way he was talking it wouldnt do much good to offer under $600 and then im not sure he would go for that.steve what different twin models did they make in '03? then again he could have the date wrong to.he told me his dad bought the GT14 new in '66,i just pulled out a brochure i have covering all the '73 models and it says the GT14 goes back 5 years from '73 which would make 68 or 69 (depending on if they were counting the 73 model year) the first year for them.i will try to get a price on the D and find out what model the 20hp twin is and get a price on it too.i told him i would try to get back weekend after this to pick up the GT14.

Brrly1

The GT14 was built from 1969-1973 for those four years it was the pride of Wheel Horse until they came out with the D series which started with the 160 auto and also the 180 autos. I am not a scholar on this but I am confident as far as the GT's go. Have a Good Day Burly :banghead::USA: :banana: :banana:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Duff

what different twin models did they make in '03

Were the 500-series tractors still in production in '03? :USA:

Duff :banghead:

T-Mo

In 2003 Toro made a 520xi and a 417xt, both had twin cylinder engines, but both were far removed from the 500 series of the late 80's and early 90's. The 417xt was a vertical shaft lawn and garden tractor, while the 520xi had a horizontal shaft engine, a drive shaft and was very heavy duty.

linen beige

told me he knew the transaxle was worth $1000 and he said the rear tires (dry rotted to the point i dont know if they would hold air) are worth over a hundred apiece.

I have a good D series transaxle I'll let go for $1000.00 and I'll throw in the rest of the running D-160 with a three point, and a 48 inch SD deck to boot! :USA:

All four tires are pretty new although the rears (on it when I bought it) are straight rib wagon tires so it has very little traction. :banghead:

Ds aren't really so rare or hard to find, so a rough one isn't worth all that much. I'd pass on this one. The GT-14 on the other hand just might be a find.

pond195520032003

I have a good D series transaxle I'll let go for $1000.00 and I'll throw in the rest of the running D-160 with a three point, and a 48 inch SD deck to boot! :D

All four tires are pretty new although the rears (on it when I bought it) are straight rib wagon tires so it has very little traction. :D

Ds aren't really so rare or hard to find, so a rough one isn't worth all that much. I'd pass on this one. The GT-14 on the other hand just might be a find.

Herd that :( I have a nice D-200 already :( i was mainly interested in the loader, but im sure he bumped his head on that one too :lol::banghead: i just sold a pair of 6 lug wheels with ag tires off my d- 200 for $65.00 for the transaxle to be worth a $1000, it would have to be completely rebuilt with all new gears and pump motor, also rebuilt :thumbs: i would still probably pass it up unless i couldent find one! :USA: i bought a D-180 at the portland swap in mya for $400.00 and it had a real nice 3pt hitch, rear pto and in decent shape(engine was off but included) :omg: anyway wonder what it would take to get the rough loader :lol: where is it located :D

rustyoldjunk

Greg,its located in greencastle about mid way between terre haute and indianapolis.i have to give him a call in a few days,i will see what he says about it then.

rustyoldjunk

i talked to the guy on the phone yesterday evening.it was a short conversation,his phone was going dead.im going to try to pick up the GT14 this weekend or next.i did finally get a price out of him on the D.he says it could be bought with all of it scattered parts (engine,loader,front sheetmetal and grill) for $500.as for the 2003 "new" tractor i still couldnt get a price on it.maybe when i go pick up the GT.