Sign in to follow this  
JoeM

C145 Hydro Loads Engine

JoeM

I have a C145 hydro and when I engage the trasmission belt, the engine goes into the governor. The hydro control is in neutral, and the machine is not moving. The tractor will move foreward and reverse and seem be be responsive. But the engine seems to be loading the entire time. I have two other C145's and so no sign of this problem. The problem is the same cold or warm oil. I just purchased the machine, (knowing there was a transmission problem), and have done nothing more thean check the fluid. It is full and seem to be the right grade. I thought about an oil change, but thought I would throw this out to the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Any suggestions?

SousaKerry

Start with the basics change the oil and filter.  My C-175 has always loaded the engine some but I do not think excessively.  You could also try using synthetic oil.  Are all of these tractors Eatons? Early C-1X5 tractors used Sunstrands and this may account for your differences.

Oh and check your idler pulley I have seen these lock up or nearly lock up and rob gobs of power.

Edited by SousaKerry

JoeM

They are all 1100 eatons. The guy that sold me the machine thought it had a bearing in the transaxle locking up, or at least he thought so, he also said the belt somkes at times. I have ran it around some and the transaxle never locked up, belt never smoked. The only thng I have noticed is the excessive strain it puts on the engine when engaging the belt. It is pretty hard into the governor and stays in to it. I agree the oil maybe the wrong vis, I am going to change the oil later in the week. I will post the results.

pfrederi

Unless he put 90w gear oil or heavier in it your problem isn't the fluid.

JoeM

I am going to check that idler pulley, never gave that any thought! I am also going to jack up the machine and turn the brake drum to see how much drag is on the transaxle. I suspect the problem I the hydro.

leeave96

I am going to check that idler pulley, never gave that any thought! I am also going to jack up the machine and turn the brake drum to see how much drag is on the transaxle. I suspect the problem I the hydro.

+1

Good place to start.

ericj

just a thought but is it possible that it is the motor laboring, points out of adjustment carb out of adj. make sure the motor is running up to snuff first. does the motor seem to labor at all before you engage the trans , is it hard to start. just something to consider before ripping and tearing into the trans

eric j

JoeM

All great ideas, I haven't had much chance to do anything, but I walked by the machine today and pulled the dip stick looking at the oil. It appeared clean and the right vis, but was pretty gritty. Wiping n a white paper towel, there was black grit.....like metal in the oil. Not a good sign, will update more later.

Joe

LFDRET

to check if it is the Tran or engine problem install a mower deck to see if the engine does the same thing when encaged

JoeM

I was able to check closer into the problem yesterday. I checked the idler pulley, okay. Removed the rear tires, turned the rear hubs and the brake drum, nothing unusual. I turned the input pulley on the trans pump and there was a bit of a rubbing sound. I then removed the trans filter, drained in to a paper towel, cut the top off and removed media to check the pleats. In the pleats, I saw glitter like material. I would say there is a bearing problem somewhere in the pump. The one strange thing was at times the loading would stop and everything seemed normal. I have a deck on the machine and when I engage it not much into the governor, just a brief blip. The engine could use a carb clean and tune, but it is not bad enough to be the problem. I put one of my other machines side by side and engaged the transmission, pretty big difference going into the governor. I included some pics of the filter material etc. hard to see the glitter. Going to put this one on the back burner until some cheap parts come around.

Thanks,

Joe

post-6026-0-66523100-1397378509.jpg

post-6026-0-23278800-1397378510.jpg

post-6026-0-93228200-1397378510.jpg

post-6026-0-57366000-1397378511.jpg

squonk

sometimes when you cut open a filter, the cutting shaving can get into the pleats giving you a false indicator.