workingbadger

Grass Catcher doesn't work on WH 12-38XL

workingbadger

I just bought a used 1995 Toro 12-38XL. Looks and runs great. Then I bought a Toro Grass Catcher from a junked 12-38XL. Fit right on. When I tried it out on my front yard (which is still brown from winter), it didn't pick up hardly anything. It left a lot of trimmings all over the yard and sidewalk. When I dumped it, it had maybe a shoe box worth of grass and leaves. Suggestions?

post-12801-0-12445100-1396746606_thumb.j

post-12801-0-47123200-1396746614_thumb.j

Foozerush

What blades are on the deck? Are they regular or Hi-vac blades? Don't know if WH has them for bagging options. Someone might know......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcrage

Make sure that the tube is open. They get blocked quite easily

workingbadger

I haven''t had a chance to look at the blades since I just bought the mower two weeks ago. But its on my list for tomorrow to check them, and lube everything.  Sure would be nice if I could get it working. At first I had the deck down low, but when I saw it wasn't picking up, I went around again with the deck raised up. I'm also going to check to see if the deck has the 'recycler baffles' installed. Anyone have any experience with those? The kit runs $180 from the Toro dealer. I like my dealer, but not that much........

AMC RULES

Nice looking unit there. 

:WRS:

workingbadger

Well, guess what folks.  Just as dcrage suggested, I checked my discharge tube and it was clogged. But clogged down near the bottom, so the clear part of the tube was empty.  So, I cleaned it out, and had another go at it. This time I raised the deck a notch, so it could get more air to blow, and went slower. And it worked pretty well. Picked up a lot of the leaves that were left scatted about, and a few small sticks. Mulched the dickens out of the leaves.  Life is good.  Now, if I could only find the person that directed the exhaust crossways across the front of the mower... It blows the leaves out of the way!  I hear there is a kit for re-directing..  Thanks folks.

gwest_ca

Garry