petes

Bronco 14 parking brake damaged

petes

My parking brake is not working. I've done some research and found that this part can be damaged very easily.  My question is; how hard is it to get to the pawl, and can it be repaired as I can't seem to find one "NLA". I've ordered the axle shaft oil seal and the case gasket.  

cod

Oddly enough I was tinkering with my pawl today too.  Mine currently has a slot worn almost halfway through and until I get around to trying to make another, I took a washer that was almost the same thickness as the pawn and mounted it to the end of the pawl with a 1/4-20 SHCS.  There was already a 1/4 hole in the pawl and the hole in the washer was large enough to let me slide it down over the slot.  Once I got it in place, I tightened up the bolt ( using a 1/4-20 jam nut ) and filed the bottom of the washer so it now it has a flat at the same height as the pawl.  So far it seems to be working but I'm sure Murphy is lurking nearby so I better keep an eye on it.

I suspect that you may be able to find someone nearby who could weld it up for you if thats an option and I've also seen pawls on EBAY or you could check with Kelly as he may have one too.

Good luck!!!

daveoman1966

The Bronco 14 has a Hydrogear power unit and the Parking Pawl should be a piece of formed steel, welded to a shaft.  There is another style that MAY work. It is a cast part held onto the shaft with a roll pin.  

In either case the gearbox must be opened to replace or repair the parking pawl. 

Parkin Pawl is item 33 in this schematic.

Edited by daveoman1966

oldredrider

I have removed, repaired and replaced several parking pawls in hydro gear transmissions and have never had to split a case.

Remove the pump and motor as a unit and you can access the pawl. Long curved needle nose pliers work great. They are about $10.00 at Lowes.

Have the pawl welded up and you're good to go.

petes

Cod and Oldredrider, thanks for your posts. I'm hoping it's not in to bad of shape (not broken in pieces) to get it welded up, though, Cod, I might try your fix.  Daveoman1966, thanks for the pictures and the info. It sure helps seeing the part "for real" than in a schematic.

cod

After looking a Daveoman's pictures, I try to get it welded as you may not have any room for a nut and bolt fix, and I suspect it will last longer too.

oldredrider

While you're in there, make sure you clean or replace the screen filter. It's magnetic and probably has metal shavings in it.

petes

While you're in there, make sure you clean or replace the screen filter. It's magnetic and probably has metal shavings in it.

Will do, this will go along with the fluid and filter change after I get the parking pawl fixed. Thanks

can whlvr

so how does the pawl come out with needle nose,isnt there a roll pin that would need to be removed?

petes

so how does the pawl come out with needle nose,isnt there a roll pin that would need to be removed?

Yes, the roll pin attaches the parking lever to he parking pawl shaft 4-34 of the schematic above. It has to be driven out and the lever removed to take out the pawl assembly. I think the snap ring is for another style of parking pawl.

daveoman1966

I stand corrected and agree with Paul that you can probably replace the Parking Pawl without splitting the cases.  First, remove the pump and motor assy as he suggested...that will expose an access hole to get at the parking pawl using long needle nose pliers, aslo as per Paul.

From outside the gearbox, drive the roll-pin out of part #34...the pawl lever, then remove the lever from the shaft . From opposite side of gearbox, reach in with long pliers a grab the park pawl...pull it thru the hole and, hopefully, don't drop it.  Have it welded by a PROFESSIONAL.  I emphasize the PROFESSIONAL as you don't want little bits of the repair chipping off into the hydro fluid.  For the same reason, file off any rough edges.

NOTEWORTHY.... take care not to introduce dirt and crap into the gearbox.  These Sundstrand units are hypersensitive to even the tiniest dirt particle. 

You should be able to access the Park Pawl thru the XX hole shown here.            

Edited by daveoman1966

oldredrider

Dave, I couldn't have said it any better!