swarfeater

wheel horse or Troybuilt ???

swarfeater

I've owned a troybuilt for over 40 years and they were always great machines. i got a 312-8 last year after all the hype i heard about them, and a month ago i picked up a good tiller for it for $300.  Well, i put it to the test today, and all i can say is, goodbye troybuilt !!!  well i guess i'll will keep it to weed between the rows, but no more real work for it, i got a real tiller now.

• Like 2

SousaKerry

:handgestures-thumbupright::greetings-clappingyellow:

Why walk when you can sit and enjoy the ride... now where have I heard that before??

Edited by SousaKerry

Tim

I have both the troy bilt Horse and a C160 with a tiller

the WH will till faster, with less work (a lot less), but it will not go as deep

the troy bilt is the Cadillac of walk behinds

• Like 1

Racinbob

Back in our Indiana days I had a Wheel Horse tiller and a Troy Bilt Junior. It was a great combination to have. Troy Bilts are the Wheel Horse of walk behinds.

Edited by Racinbob

rick

I wish the WH tiller would dig as deep as a TroyBilt Horse!

over60pirate

I was tilling a customers vegi garden, and the guy told me, his dad had a  big garden, and he and his brother, would take the Troybilt Horse tiller, like mine, and he would set it going in a crop row, and his brother, 100+ feet away, would wait for it, then turn it around in the next row, and send it back!

• Like 2

shorts

Last night I loaded up the father-in-laws troybuilt horse and sent it off to his grandson. I've got the wheelhorse dirt plow and tiller for bed prep. I'm thinking it's time to find a mantis type mini tiller for the weeding and small work.

hm12460

Those old Troy-Bilt walk behind tillers were the best! It's unfortunate MTD turned the name brand into painted up junk.

• Like 2

pfrederi

My late 1960's troy-bilt leaves a much nicer finish than the C81 with tiller  Plus it is a lot easier to use in a fenced in garden.  (Incidentally it has a Tecumseh and starts on the 2 or 3 pull after sitting for months at a time....

• Like 1

WH nut

:handgestures-thumbupright::greetings-clappingyellow:

Why walk when you can sit and enjoy the ride... now where have I heard that before??

Why walk when you can sit and enjoy the ride ( and drink a beer)

Fixed it for you

brandonozz

Last night I loaded up the father-in-laws troybuilt horse and sent it off to his grandson. I've got the wheelhorse dirt plow and tiller for bed prep. I'm thinking it's time to find a mantis type mini tiller for the weeding and small work.

I've been thinking the same thing about getting a small tiller for "Weeding" in between the rows.  The 36" WH does great getting everything ready early but is too bulky/non-manuverable when the plants get going.

oaktown1987

The new Troy builts sucks use to work on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over60pirate

I've had my Hores tiller for about 8 years, and do my 30' x 30' garden and maybe 5 other small gardens, every year. Only 1 time, I really wish I had a tow behind. That was when a customers' 30 x 40 garden was actually 50 x 150 !! Tough sod required going over it 3 times ! Over 4 hours tilling. 

I picked up a 2 cycle "tiller" at a yard sale for $30, and it works great to till between plants.

The Horse is a tough old machine.