wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Need D series Front Spindle Assemblies?

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Help.. I need a set of  front spindles for a D series for the front axle.
Can anyone let me know where I could buy them?

My  'new' '73 D-180 with Ark loader for about three weeks now and I love it but it needs new front spindles.

Before I owned it, someone had re-welded them less than well, :) and basically the tires are severely out of alignment vertically. The front axle is in excellent condition.

I think the simplest fix would be to get a Left and Right Spindle Assembly even possibly  with wheels.

Does any one know where I could buy some?  They could OEM or aftermarket, but I need to replace them

Would any D-series of any year fit? or does it have to be a 1973?

Looking for some horse help :)!

Also once I conquer that challenge, I'd like to tighten up the 1/2  a steering wheel slop in the steering. I see there is a plate that hides what is really going on. For now though I need the spindles :)

Thanks for any guidance!

Best,

Jack

Edited by wheelhorse-c-161-1979

pfrederi

3/4 or 1"??

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

3/4 or 1"??

To be honest, I have no clue. I bought the D-180 from w Ark Loader about a month ago. Fine working condition, but needs cleanup and improvements.

The one thing the guy had told me is that he had changed the front tire to some 'trailer wheels." Problem is the guy did some welding to accommodate the new tire. So the spindles have been messed with and the tires are no where near being vertically straight.   I just bought on ebay a new D series front axle so that i have an OEM one in case the guy drilled the old one when messing with the spindles.

So I don't know what it would have come with.  And I am currently looking to buy some replacement spindles that are made for the D-180 and will fit.  Were there two diameters? ¾ and 1"?

1973 D-180 Model# 10501 8   The serial# 945927

Thanks for help.

Jack

pfrederi

Yes standard was 3/4" but a 1" was an option ...and really needed if you have a FEL. 

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Paul,

Does the front axle change if it's a 1" vs ¾" spindle ? Or are they the same?

Thanks!

Jack

"D"- Man

First, if your tractor is a 1973 it is not a D-180, if it is a D-180 it is a 1974 (or later) if it is a 1973 it is an 18 Automatic.  Second, the front axle is different for the 1" spindles than for the 3/4" spindles.  The axle for the 1" spindles had a larger O.D. at the area where the spindle bore is.  Third, the Model # 10501 could this be 1-0601 ?  If so, your rear tires (assuming they are original) would be 27 x 9.5 - 15 Turf-Savers.  This consequently would indicate that you have an 18 Automatic.  Mark. (P.S. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.)

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi,

Thanks for setting me straight on the naming and IDing of the tractor.. I thought that d-180 / auto 18 are thrown around interchangeably but you are absolutely correct.  Upon further cleaning and magnification, the model is indeed a 10601, Making it 1973 D series 18hp Auto.  Not a quite as catchy as D180, but hey I have and it's great. Now it does need some new front spindles. So are you telling me they are then 1"and not ¾" ?

I just bought but don't have yet  (as a precaution) what is claimed to be a D-180 front axle. Therefore, it wouldn't fit as it would be a ¾".

So now I'm back to my bottom line, corrected appropriately,  I am in search of front wheel spindles for a 1973 auto 18.  Anybody have a pair willing to sell, or anyone able to tell me where to buy some oem or aftermarket?

btw I totally get calling things by their correct names. It drives me nuts when people  call a gun magazine a 'clip'. Semi autos have 'magazines'. A few guns like the Garand have a 'clip' :)

Thanks!

Jack

pfrederi

You really need to measure the spindles on the tractor before you buy anything.  1" spindles were an option on D-series tractors, i do not know for sure if they were an option on an 18 automatic.  In any event if it is being used as a loader tractor someone may have swapped out the front axle and spindles at some point so until you measure no one can be sure what size you need.

Incidentally an M-1 Garand is a weapon or rifle not a gun...at least in the Army :)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Hodge71

Jack,

I still don't think you're getting it. 18 automatics had both 3/4 inch and 1 inch spindles depending on which option box was checked when ordered. The axles do not interchange. If you have 3/4 inch axles/spindles you will need to find complete 1" axle/spindle setup from a D-180 or D-200. Heres where it gets confusing again....both had 3/4 or 1 inch axles up to 1976 or 77 ( the year they changed to all 1 inch) depending on which box was checked. Just because you purchased a D-180 axle...it means nothing unless it came off a 1977 or later and it had 1 inch axles from the factory. So your new axle is useless unless you're lucky. You will almost never find OEM unless someone has them laying on a shelf since the 70's as almost everything for these big red guys are NLA from Toro. Aftermarket is a pipe dream as far as Im concerned, this isn't a 2 year old $10,000 green and yellow plastic tractor, they're 40 year old machines , nobody but our little group here supports much..... Used is your only option. Now if you have a machine shop close to you, you may be able to bore your front axle out and bush it to fit 1" spindles, but beware with a loader tractor you will have made the axle weaker then, as the 1" axles had more beef in the spindle area. Also worth mentioning is the fact that you will need new front wheels and wheel bearings. I have wheels but the bearings for them are totally whacked out price wise. You can get them from Toro for $82 each and you will need 4..I crossed them over and found them for $65 each but multiplied by 4 you will still be spending close to $300 just for front bearings. Then you will need wheels, if you're lucky 50 bucks each, then new 4 or 6 ply tires for loader use. 2 ply fronts can't carry the load of a loader with a full bucket and will fail. Im just letting you know of the costs of your ideas. If you have skill and are resourceful you can get away with a couple 2 -3 hundred bucks to get set up, if you're the type of person that buys everything done already,  get ready for close to a grand by the time you're done.  Good luck to ya

Edited by hodge71

pfrederi

520 heavy duty 1" spindle vs D series 1"  (520 is on the left)

post-1023-0-77217100-1396530640_thumb.jp

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi prfredri, Thanks for the comparison and taking the time to take the pic. Mine are definitely on the right. Now I'll take a closer look to see if 1" or ¾" as Jeff explained above.

Oh and yes re Garand, yes you are correct. NRA likes to call them firearms:)  Anything can be used as a weapon, including those dreaded red assault axles from the 70s :)

Thanks again!

Jack

Edited by wheelhorse-c-161-1979

pacer

My 75 D-180 came with several attachments that WH offered except a FEL and it had 3/4" spindles. Over the years the right side got scored from a bad bearing, and I wanted to add the much beefier 1" so for several years I watched for a replacement set and finally Joes Outdoor (thank goodness for Joe!!) offered a set at his usual very reasonable price and I ordered it up. The I" set-up has to be a unit to change over, everything is now 1" - the axle, the spindle bore and the center axle pin.

You will just have to start a concentrated search for a used set-up (hopefully Joes will get another - maybe they will put you on a watch list??) I recently did a 1054 build and found the spindles on it are rare as hens teeth and I had to do some creative rebuilding.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I would say you will jsut have to keep a watch out for used ones from Joe's and place an ad in the "wanted" section here.

Since these tractors are hard to find parts for, you may want to just look for a parts tractor. Another 18 auto that you will be able to pull from. There was one at a reasonable price around here on CL for a loooong time but someone finally swept it up.

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Brandon,  Thanks for compass on where start looking!

I'll do just that.:)

Best,

Jack

gwest_ca

I don't have a D but was wondering if anyone has used the 1" trailer hubs on a 1" spindle? Is the spindle long enough?

Garry

pacer

Thats a good question Garry - if I recall correctly the D wheel spindle is 4" and the couple trailer spindles I've seen are 4 1/4" (if I read the dims correctly!) So a fella would sure want to verify that measurement.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Truck-Trailer/Trailer-Components/Spindles-Wheel-Hubs/

I made up my own 1" spindles and used 5.70x8 trailer tires and rim - course I've got a lathe and mill and it would be somewhat difficult to do that without those...

By the way that square configuration didnt work, I had to go ahead and make them round to fit in the trailer rim...

post-9681-0-43299200-1396641230_thumb.jp

Edited by pacer

Jolopicus

Hey Guys. I know it's later in the conversation, but I've had surprisingly good luck with a couple of things in this realm. First, sorry for not having picts at the moment, will try to document and contribute as a good man should. I've got an 18 auto, with the 3/4" spindles. the spindle's weren't turning nicely, of course with a custom loader, ark-ish, it broke the steering thing after the steering gearbox. So, too much tension in the steering system with some heavy soil in the bucket. SO, to Axman surplus and a few other places around minneapolis/st. paul. I got thrust washers, 3/4" with two hardened washers on the top and bottom. B/c the axle's were worn from rough bolts used instead of proper cotter pins, I milled them down a bit so that adding the thrust and hardened washers still allowed the spindle to pop through. I then used what looks like a mess, but is actually pretty good. Norhtern tool 1" spindle, with a 3/4 to 1" bushing pressed into both bearings. Now you're right, it is not abit longer than the shaft allows, but I am a believer in the power of compression. I added a 1"x3/4" steel spacer to the end, and locked it in with a grade 8 bolt and a washer. works like a charm. the thrust washers, and 4 bolt spindle makes that thing turn and move perfectly...
So here's my question: Are there any other heavier spindles that might work? The rest of the machine can handle all the weight, but those spindles are the weak part.
Good luck gents, and again, in time i'll get some good picts uploaded. promise.  

Trouty56

Hey Guys. I know it's later in the conversation, but I've had surprisingly good luck with a couple of things in this realm. First, sorry for not having picts at the moment, will try to document and contribute as a good man should. I've got an 18 auto, with the 3/4" spindles. the spindle's weren't turning nicely, of course with a custom loader, ark-ish, it broke the steering thing after the steering gearbox. So, too much tension in the steering system with some heavy soil in the bucket. SO, to Axman surplus and a few other places around minneapolis/st. paul. I got thrust washers, 3/4" with two hardened washers on the top and bottom. B/c the axle's were worn from rough bolts used instead of proper cotter pins, I milled them down a bit so that adding the thrust and hardened washers still allowed the spindle to pop through. I then used what looks like a mess, but is actually pretty good. Norhtern tool 1" spindle, with a 3/4 to 1" bushing pressed into both bearings. Now you're right, it is not abit longer than the shaft allows, but I am a believer in the power of compression. I added a 1"x3/4" steel spacer to the end, and locked it in with a grade 8 bolt and a washer. works like a charm. the thrust washers, and 4 bolt spindle makes that thing turn and move perfectly...
So here's my question: Are there any other heavier spindles that might work? The rest of the machine can handle all the weight, but those spindles are the weak part.
Good luck gents, and again, in time i'll get some good picts uploaded. promise.  

pictures would be helpful....

alswagg

On my front loader / backhoe I have the 1" spindles. Converted the hubs to taper roller bearing, very easy to do by the way, and power assist steering. Everything works great.  

Trouty56

On my front loader / backhoe I have the 1" spindles. Converted the hubs to taper roller bearing, very easy to do by the way, and power assist steering. Everything works great.  

Again....pics would be helpful....like to see the power steering mod....