SousaKerry

HH60 Piston woes and questions

SousaKerry

Last year I rebuilt an HH60 for my L-157 Lawn Ranger,  It ran great but it smoked more then a steam train.  Some of you may remember this tractor from the Charlotte show, as I had several requests to fog campsites for mosquitoes....

Anyways I pulled the engine and tore it down the other day looking for problems, rings are fine bore looks good but it is measuring between .003-.004" oversize.  So I really need to bore it(should have done it last time.) 

Problem is Tecumseh discontinued the oversize pistons and rings years ago and I am having trouble locating anything NOS or aftermarket that isn't a budget breaker.  Does anyone here know if you can use pistons out of any other brand engines?  Or does anybody have a stash of these around that they would be willing to sell one.  I would prefer a .020 over as I am not sure if it will clean up in .010"

WH nut

Have you checked the price of putting a sleeve in it?

shorts

You might look into having the skirts knurled or coated/dipped in a friction modifier to fit the .004 oversize bore and then  finding a set of file fit rings, look in a Summit or Jegs catalog to find who the aftermarket piston people are and then contact them directly. the other thing that comes to mind is to ask about a custom machined casting or forging, in the hot rod world it's a fairly common practice to move the wrist pin hole up, down or sideways and modify the piston deck height and ring groove size and location as well as the skirt length.

rmaynard

Let me look. I have a big box of NOS Tecumseh pistons and rings. May have what you need, then again I may not. Do you have the part number of what you are looking for?

Desko

Have you tried repairclinic.com all you have to do is type in you model and spec number.

SousaKerry

This may all be academic at this point.  Got into the bottom of the engine today and found a disturbing amount of wear on the connecting rod and crank.

I was trying to keep the project under $100 but just the top end was looking like about $75 already without new gaskets.  I was finally able to find a piston online and Federal-Mogul makes a set of rings for a Briggs that will work. Now that I need a con rod and have an iffy crank this budget ain't looking good

I have a few K-181's laying around without a home that I picked up in a package deal several years ago, may just shoehorn one in and forget about finding an ever dwindling supply of Techy parts.  The machine is already modified from stock a bit and I would rather sink the money into something I can get parts for yet and have a better end product.

Terry M

Maybe keep an eye out for a decent used one.?. :confusion-shrug: .I see them once in a while on ebay...

Desko

Find a nice complete engine on eBay maby?

Edited by Desko

roscoemi

I have a H-60 that I just pulled from the kids 'Ranger I may part with, just waiting on the Harbor Freight motor to get here. I was going to go thru it while we are doing his tractor, but ran into the same parts thing you have and decided to just go the new route. It's complete, has about 80lbs of compression but can be a little finicky starting sometimes.