Sign in to follow this  
refracman

new car for the wife

refracman

First off let me the wife is OK. We've had this 94 tauras since 98, and had 34000 on it when we got it from my brothers mother in law.

On the way to work 1/4 mile from the house the wife was hit when another women ran the stop sign. She was hit in the rear fender spun her out and rolled on its roof nice and easy. the wife got out MAD as hornets and was goin to kick some :( . The other lady was a lot luckier, just a little fender bender on her ride and drove the car home.

What the big pain now is the car only had 88000 on it, new trans, brakes, brake lines, struts, belts, hoses , tires and no rust! besides bein paid for the last 5 yrs.

And i know the insurance co. is goin to want to give us sqat for it! :P

If it wasnt for the roof bein crunched id buy it back and fix it for a beater

So the wife gets a new ride for Christmas and i get a payment, guess no tractor stuff for a while :D

Steve

tauras12-18-07004.jpg

tauras12-18-07005.jpg

tauras12-18-07006.jpg

T-Mo

Steve,

I'm glad to hear your wife and the other driver are both okay. Cars, as well as tractors, are replaceable :D . People are not. And I know another car payment is not a good thing, but, I like car shopping myself, though I would rather go truck shopping.

Again, I'm glad no one was hurt.

Greg B.

Steve,

Gotta echo Terry, on this one. Glad no one was hurt.

Car payment sucks, though :D

Greg B.

refracman

Dont get me wrong, im glad no one was seriosly hurt in this one.

and true material things are just that.

guess im just mad about it cause im a tight wad.:D

Steve

nylyon

Echo the others, glad she is fine. Cars and tractors are a bunch of metal and plastic, painful to see em crunched, but not nearly as so when someone is hurt. I personally like shopping for a car, of course I'm not real happy about the payments that come along with it though :D Either way, glad no one was hurt.

Rollerman

Main thing is she got out unharmed!

Hopefully the insurance adjuster will be a fair person with you.

You know with a new windshield & some saw zaw work that make a nice convertable :D

kj4kicks

Glad she's OK !

Now, about that insurance.... If you don't like what the ins company offers (and it is just that, an offer), you do NOT have to accept it. You can file it with the Insurance Commisioner in your state for further review. I have had to do that twice already, and it worked out both times (to about double what the ins co offered).

Hope that helps!

Eldon.

Jim_M

Steve,

If you have all of your receipts for the work that was done to the car you should be able to get more out of the insurance company. The adjuster will tell you his first price is not negotiable, but trust me, it is. I used to own a body shop and have worked with a lot of insurance companies, just like anybody else they will try to get the best deal, but you don't have to take their first offer.

I don't know how the Ohio insurance code reads but Indiana's (and most other states) says that you have the right to ask for an exact replacement of the car instead of a check.

I used that to my advantage a few years back. I had a perfect Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, low miles, every option, ran and looked like a million bucks. One day a woman rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light, she was driving 50 miles an hour and looking at everything but the road, saw all the stopped cars when she was about 10 feet from me. She hit me hard, folded the back of my car under, drove right underneath me and pushed me into the car in front of me. When it was all over, the remains of the rear end of my car were sitting on her dash board and the front of my car was about 4 feet shorter and blocking my view out of the windshield. I saw her coming so I was ready for the impact and didn't get hurt, in fact nobody did, if you had seen the cars you would have sworn that somebody must have been killed.

When it came time for her insurance to pay up, they tried to give some ridiculously low amount, we went back and forth for a couple of weeks and I wasn't really getting anywhere, they swore that my car wasn't even worth what they were offering so I printed off the page of the insurance code that said I was entitled to an exact replacement instead of a check, gave it to the adjuster and told him I didn't mind driving the rental car that he was paying for while he found me an exact replacement for my car. He said " I'll never be able to find another car like that", I said "exactly my point". He not only wrote me the check in the amount that I asked for 2 weeks earlier, but he had to add a little extra to cover the time I had to take off work to fight with him and had to pay for a rental car for the entire time.

The moral of the story is....get organized, stick to your guns and don't let them screw you. They have no problems taking your money from you, don't feel bad about taking some of it back.

Good Luck!

Jim

CasualObserver

Jim, that's a damn fine story. :D And smart advice!

refracman

Guys thanks for the concern and advice. I will start to get the reciets together, and check into our insurance laws to see what my options are.

Once again thanks

Steve