formariz

Points question

formariz

Usually old points have developed a sharp pointed protusion on one side, and the exact opposite on the opposite side. Does that condition affect timing on engine? If not replacing points, should it be filed flat and timing reworked?

Many thanks.

rmaynard

I am not at my computer, but the Kohler manual does explain the question that you are asking.

oldredrider

File the points flat and re-gap to .019. Replacing the condenser should correct the problem.

formariz

File the points flat and re-gap to .019. Replacing the condenser should correct the problem.

I thought it was just normal wear did not realized that it is caused by condenser!

rmaynard

Back at my computer where I have access to my Kohler manual. To confirm what Paul said, here is a snapshot from the manual:

post-2221-0-09233100-1396199754_thumb.pn

Edited by rmaynard

Retired Wrencher

Back at my computer where I have access to my Kohler manual. To confirm what Paul said, here is a snapshot from the manual:

attachicon.gifpoints transfer.png

Bob what does over or under capacitance mean????  Gary

Racinbob

A capacitor stores electrical energy until the points discharge it. Capacitance relates to the amount of electrical energy a given capacitor can store. The term for it is farad. If I recall correctly from working on cars the capacitance rating was stamped on the condenser.

rmaynard

Generally Gary, it means "bad condenser".

Edited by rmaynard

Retired Wrencher

Generally Gary, it means "bad condenser".

ok thanks so no build up means good condenser????

pfrederi

ok thanks so no build up means good condenser????

If you have spark and no build up/pitting the answer is yes

Ed Kennell

I believe the Kohlers require a 2 microfarad capacitor (condenser).

formariz

Thank you everyone.Great to always be learning something.

shorts

Just my opinion, but if you need to service the points and/or condenser replace them as a set, they are relatively cheap and considered consumable parts along with sparkplugs air filters belts and engine oil.  If you need to file or clean the points to get running until you can get new parts consider it a temporary repair

• Like 1

Mr. 856

While we are talking points......I have a  set that came off an engine that are brown plastic. the new set in the Kohler tune up kit that are on the engine now work but seem to be a lot more "sloppy" then the ones that came off. the new are black plastic.....and when the engine is running the points have a tendency to move outward on the shaft making the points not meet perfectly. It doesn't seem to effect the operation of the engine though. Is there a way to tweek the new points to make them stay aligned fully? It just appears to me that they move on the shaft more then the brown ones did or do. any thoughts? Would you consider putting the old ones back on? They worked just fine when removed.

BOWTIE

I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO BY IGNITION REP.  THAT IF THE POINTS JUST WEAR OUT THE CONDENSER IS EXCELLENT AND DON'T REPLACE JUST THE POINTS.  IT IS SOMETIMES HARD TO FIND A EXCELLENT TO MF SPECS ON A CONDENSER. I HAVE USED POINTS UP TO 1000 HOURS THAT JUST WORE EXCELLENT.

BOWTIE

formariz

Has anyone used the Point Saver from Kirk engines?Seems like the ideal thing since it also helps to set the timing.

illinilefttackle

Has anyone used the Point Saver from Kirk engines?Seems like the ideal thing since it also helps to set the timing.

Thats the first thing I did to my C-125 , K-301as when I rebuilt it- I liked the idea of it reducing the voltage at the points & it had a "Bonus" of being able to use the light as a timing device for the engine-new points & "Points Saver have been going 5 years now with no problem. Highly recommend it-Al