Dmaxin

D160 Intake Manifold

Dmaxin

Hello.  Newbie here.  My son and I just resurrected a 1978 D160 and it runs pretty good, but the carburetor could use a little work.  My main question is will an intake manifold from a 520H fit on a D160?

Thank you,

Lynn

bmsgaffer

I dont know much about these, but Ill go first.

Ima gonna vote no. The 520H is an onan and the D160 is a kohler (i think!)

The experts will correct me if I am wrong.

Dmaxin

I dont know much about these, but Ill go first.

Ima gonna vote no. The 520H is an onan and the D160 is a kohler (i think!)

The experts will correct me if I am wrong.

I have the Onan engine.

bmsgaffer

Ah, ok then. Hmm, I know that several of the versions of onans used the same block, however I dont know which ones. I think the 16 and 20 were different. Again. I hope someone steps in here with more knowledge.

You might try searching for "onan block" or "onan rebuild" because I know interchangeability has been discussed before.

Dmaxin

Thank you.  There are a zillion threads for Engines alone.  I've been through the first 24 pages searching.  I'll give your suggestion a try.  Thanks again.

Dmaxin

Thank you again.  I am really new to Wheel Horse and don't have a clue what the B & P designations were.  Now that you've posted that it fits both I'm a happy guy.

:)

Desko

Like bmsgaffer said they are the same except for the crankshaft and rods the 16-18 shared the same cam and carburetor while the 18-20 shared the same crank and rods while the 20 had a cam of its own but all is the same outside as in intake,heads(not all of them as some had the plugs on top while some hade them over the piston)some gear covers (some have the fuel pump hose while some blocks had it),bearing plate, depending on the block valve covers but not all b and p series are inter changeable like valves and cranks. Hope that clears it up a bit

• Like 1

Martin

there are other differences also between the b and p series engines......

a major one is the move from points to electronic ignition....

heres a summary of some of the differences from early to late (b to p series) from the JD TM1590 manual. this is a JD manual but it still relates to our engines.....

post-4321-0-03543200-1396101723_thumb.pn

in the 316 column you will note that the b43 was replaced by the p218 (not a p216) so the early specs are for the 16 hp engine and the later are for the 18hp (same as the 318 column late engine)

just studying that spec sheet for a bit you can pick up the minor differences and similarities between the engines....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Dmaxin

Desko, Martin, bmsgaffer, you guys are awesome.  Thank you so much for helping an old guy out.  This tractor belonged to a friend who ran it low on oil and broke a rod in many pieces.  We were able to find a crank, rods, pistons and gaskets and put everything back together.  At first it would only idle with the choke on but after a good soaking in carb cleaner and washing out with hot water we were able to get it to run without the choke.  The high speed adjusting screw broke right at the slot so only half the screw head is there, but it's running and now we can look for another screw and o-ring.

Thanks again for a great forum.  I'm sure we will have several more questions.  Nice to know there are people like you to help out.  :-)

Lynn

• Like 1

Desko

Your welcome and welcome to red square and ask away with questions some one will answer because that's what this site is for helping each other out when we break stuff LOL it also helps us to get to know these horses better IMHO.

• Like 1

ericj

the 20 hp carb will bolt up but you will have to see if you can get it to lean out enough to work on the 16. in other words the 20 hp carb flows more gas and air then the 16. i would use an 18 hp carb before a 20 hp but then i always at least try what i got before buying something

eric j

Dmaxin

Thanks, Eric.  We're going to work on the original carb a little more today and see if that helps before we jump too far.  We would like to keep it as original as possible.  This thing is a beast.  And working with my son (also Eric) is incredible.  We have built a couple of cars together, but this is the first time for a tractor and it's been a blast.  He has a couple of horses that we would like to use to renew the pastures which are fairly small.  Not sure quite how we're going to do that yet, but we're open to suggestions.  We have a mower deck and snow blower so far.  Would love to get a plow and drag and a loader.

ericj

i have my dad's D200 and i know what your saying about it being a beast. i think kelly on rs is from up in your neck of the woods and he might have some stuff for a D but loaders are hard to find and not cheap when you do. you might want to make what ever tractor you put the loader a dedicated loader tractor can be a pain to take off and on

eric j