meadowfield

Swapping out a k series for a magnum

meadowfield

I've acquired a magnum 16 for my project bendy. The original engine was a k241 and bolted straight to the chassis. I've sat the engine on the frame and the holes don't line up...

Having never paid any attention, I don't know how they normally mount. Obviously I can make it fit in my own way, but interested in how the rest of you have done the switchover.

Thanks

MalMac

If I remember right the two hole mounting holes on the oil pan on the flywheel side will mount to the frame and on the PTO side the holes are on the bottom of the oil pan. The PTO side Mounting tabs over hang the frame and are not used. You have to make sure your oil pan has holes drilled and tapped on the bottom of the oil pan on the PTO side.

meadowfield

I think you are making sense, I forgot to add the picture doh!

That's how I've positioned it for now

post-3321-0-02981300-1396036420_thumb.jp

Thanks

Edited by meadowfield

leeave96

Also don't forget the ignition switch will be different than what is used on the K series engine.

meadowfield

Boo... :(

There are no holes on the underside of the oil pan... Plus the drain plug interferes with the frame.

Looks like I'm either mounting it on an adapter plate, or welding tabs on the side of the frame.

pfrederi

Might be easier to get a WH compatible oil pan

meadowfield

Might be easier to get a WH compatible oil pan

I think in the spirit of things (recycling and building on a budget) I will be adapting :D

TT

The two "extra" holes used on a Wheel Horse are supposedly in line with the two bolts on the PTO side of the block-to-pan bolts.

You should be able to add them to the bottom of any other big pan that doesn't have them by using those holes as a guide.

030809005-2.jpg

Another option is to use "L" or "J" bolts hooked over the bottom lip of the frame rail.

As for the bottom drain plug, use an internal hex head pipe plug to seal the hole and then grind flush with the pan surface once it's tight.

Drill & tap the side of the pan in a suitable location for a new drain port.

• Like 1