HorseFixer

1955 RS-83 Resto Begins

Martin

thats great you got it going, Duke. sounds good, I'm happy it runs for you.......

I'm seeing Brian popping up all over the place in Michigan and Indiana this weekend. i should have made the trip out yesterday.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 3

HorseFixer

Thanks Martin,  :handgestures-thumbupright:   Yeah I have enough challenges with this Ole girl I'm glad something is finally going right with her! :)

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Sounds great!  :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Awesome :wh: tag team effort there today.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

buckrancher

good too see the old girl chugging away Duke

And thanks again too you and MJ for the hospitality   Jo and I really enjoyed our selves and dinner was fantastic

Brian

• Like 1

rwilson

Sounds good.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  

Brian, Like always MJ and I enjoyed our time with you an Jo. :)   One of these days maybe we wont hafta be in such a rush on these visits.

I am glad you are pleased with this haul and I glad I could be a big part of it.  :notworthy:

~Duke  :wh:

HorseFixer

On another thread I asked what kind of Tranny and rear end and the year I had on my senior. After much research I found that the transmission is what they call a Top Loader and the date code says its a 1934. The rear end is definitely a Model "A" as I went over to a friend of mine who has a Model A and looked it over and mine matches his.  With this info in hand I can order gaskets that I need to fix the leaks.  :disgust:

On another note, I drove over to ME Miller Tire Saturday and picked up the front and rear tires That I will be using. I had ordered a 8 X 16 Blank Rim in case the Lab Metal job didn't turn out how I wanted it to. Anyway the 8 X 16 was too wide..  :eusa-think:  I didn't realize that just because it's an 8 x 16 tire it doesn't take an 8 X 16 rim. Live and learn Well with the return shipping I would have had and the shipping of the replacement rims and the tires my shipping would have been $160.00. :jaw:   Well I made the trip for about $35.00 with gas and tolls. :handgestures-thumbup:  I will weld the spokes in later this week more on that later. The front tires are Firestone rib old style 4 X 12. The rears are Superstrong 8 X 16 Ags which bought out the Firestone rear molds and are making them under the Superstong name. Here is pics of the new Skins.

DSCN6581.jpg

DSCN6580.jpg

DSCN6579.jpg

DSCN6578.jpg

DSCN6582.jpg

DSCN6583.jpg

DSCN6584.jpg

• Like 5

neil

i love those front tires Duke , gonna look real smart with those on ,

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah, the new shoes do look great Duke.   :icecream: 

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Those are going to look awesome on there duke!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Ditto on the shoes and the motor sounds great.

• Like 1

shorts

Glad you found the rite wheels and US made tires.

• Like 1

stevebo

Duke now you got me thinking about those fronts for my senior... The ones that are on it now are what looks like a trailer tire nothing special. Those are sweet!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys!  :thumbs:   The fronts are really cool they call them Old Style I like the Scallops in them. The rears are pretty Knarley with the aggressive lug pattern. Really pisses me off that Firestone sold out the Molds. The Blank Rims are nearly identical to the originals Less the CHLORIDE DAMAGE!  :handgestures-thumbupright: When I take the rear brake drum off for a JIG for matching bolt pattern I will see condition of brakes and what parts are needed although the brakes feel pretty good. :) 

~Duke :wh: 

• Like 1

Lars

Really nice stuff duke

• Like 1

Ken B

That sounds awesome Duke, I knew you'd have it runnin in no time. The tires are going to look real sharp without a doubt. Field and Road, how cool is that! I bet ole Stevebo has already ordered a set of them front tires!

• Like 1

stevebo

Not yet but the day is just starting.... Late night at work last night :)

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Ken  :thumbs:

Like I mentioned, my only regret instead of SUPERSTRONG I wished the rears said Firestone. This was Firestones add a few years ago

before they sold out the mold's and right's to MFG the tire under that name.   :disgust:  They are listed on the right.

~Duke  :wh:

ALLTRACTIONFampR-1.jpg

shorts

Duke;

you might find it easier to leave the brake drum on the axle when you jig up the wheels and spokes so that you can spin the entire assembly to check/set runout both side to side and radial. or maybe better yet 1 drum on the bench for static setup, and the other one on the axle to check runout

Edited by shorts
  • Like 1

Desko

Well do you find the gaskets yet?

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Yes Desko, :handgestures-thumbupright:

A few of them. On top of these below I ordered a bunch of little odds and ends Like a couple Qts of 600WT Gear Oil from Syders site listed below. Many of the gaskets I will have to make. :tools-wrench:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts

Gaskets.jpg

• Like 1

HorseFixer

As you can see they have very good prices also! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

bell

Bob, you can "buff" the writing off of the tires with a flap disc on a grinder. It works GREAT!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

John,

I am not into whats available but I heard that some one say there are some companies out there that can copy and put Firestone Label on the tires I have. Anyone ever heard

of that?  :dunno:

Thanks ~Duke  :wh: