Ken B

Any 603 experts?

bmsgaffer

We need an emoticon that expresses appreciation. :eusa-think:

:bow-blue:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

stevebo

It was a toasty little machine but great to see that you got it. I am sure by the time you are done she will not be toasty....  :happy-partydance:

AMC RULES

Here's a couple Ken, let me know if you need more.

post-3498-0-58699500-1396097989_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-44247500-1396098007_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES

Ken B

Thanks Craig! I made up a spring and its running much better now, not Kohler smooth, but better. It starts right up and it idles fine. Like most Tecky's I've owned it does sound like there is a marble or two in it

• Like 1

Hammerhead

Hammerhead...I want to thank you for taking the time to type all of that knowledge.  I am more into the 1962's and I am just trying to get a handle on all that happened in that year.  Actually, some of the things you said, help me with the 1962's.  Again...thank you for typing all that.

We need an emoticon that expresses appreciation. :eusa-think:

Thanks alot Steve and Ken for you comments. It is nice to be appreciated in the world of WH!! That is all I am trying to accomplish in this hobby. Spread the word of WH. My expertise comes from the years 1955 up through about 1975. Those are the most important models to me. I have newer tractors too but love the oldies better! When I started collecting, I asked myself, what would be the ultimate collection? The answer was, every model ever made! So I started on that, but little did I know they made so many different models over the years! So I backed off of that goal and wanted all of the oldest models they made. I have about every one except a 1957. So that is what I am hunting for now. I had a deal with Brrly on one once but it fell threw. I have alot of other WH's to trade for one if anybody has multiples of a 57.    

I don't know know who made the half moon steering wheel for the Pond's. It was probably cheaper than a full steering wheel. Ken's is on upside down, you want the rounded part to be up on the top for better control. When it is down low, it gets in your way a little bit. It is just more comfy in the up front position. The 603 manual shows it like that too.

I have seen a couple steering wheels on upside down on people's restored 603's.

Those rounded for 1964 mower decks could also be had on a 603. When they ran out of the old rectangular decks, they simply used the newer model deck on them. I have had 2 603's with that style of deck on them and 2 with the rectangular decks on them. So it is correct. Your 603 cleaned up very well, great score for sure Ken! Good luck with it!

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

I grabbed the 603 today. I left work early so I got it home by 2:30 this afternoon First thing I did was 86 the chrome side moldings and give it a bath. Tore the mower deck and homemade rear hitch off. Cleaned the tank, carb, new fuel lines and pulled the flywheel to clean the points. It runs and drives but it runs like any tired Techy I've ever had, dizzy, dazed and a little confused with some smoke but it does run which is more than I expected.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about an engine for this tractor... There is a spring missing on the throttle assembly on the flywheel side of the engine, anyone got a picture of that spring and where it goes?

IMG_1550_zps15d56dc0.jpg

IMG_1548_zps8b03aede.jpg

ken Very nice tractor. If you ever think that u are going to change out the engine let me know I am looking for a engine to practice rebuilding. I have a 606 and a 657. I will have a lot of time on my hands soon so I am looking this type of engine to practice with. so I can do over the 606/657 ok Gary    B.....................

Edited by T1257

stevasaurus

Ken, that 603 cleaned up real nice.  When you get the marbles out of that Techy...buy a lotto ticket. :)  As you know...they are great engines when they run good...getting there is quite an accomplishment.  :bow-blue:

• Like 2

Ken B

Got the steering wheel turned around. It took an hour of heat, P'blaster and a bfh until I finally got the roll pin out. The hood is the worst part of this tractor. Both sides of the hood had tears in them and 4 holes needed to be welded closed. I also had to fab a new tab for the front of the lower part of the hood where you bolt it on as that was long gone as well. The paint on the top part of the hood is toast. Most of it is gone and what paint is there is all cracked. I think this one looks better in pictures than it does in person... In the first pic you can get an idea of what the paint looks like on the hood, its much worse on the top part of the hood.. It does look much better with the wheel turned around like it is supposed to be and it is more comfy.. Thanks for all the comments and help guys.

IMG_1551_zps0c1aa7bd.jpg

IMG_1555_zpsacc673a8.jpg

IMG_1557_zpsf4ebbe65.jpg

IMG_1556_zps4d40b0ef.jpg

• Like 2

bowtieguy

Wasn't Cecil a pilot?....might have inspired him to use an "aero" design steering wheel? :scratchead: ...and remember the 60's was the front of the "aero" design on alot of stuff....remember the 60 Chevy Impala...wing style tail fins and a "aero" side molding..

Awww heck, I'm the only one old enough to remember the 60's...my chick mobile was a 60 Impala ragtop w/348 and 3 carbs..white w/ red houndstooth interior....gals loved it (could care less about me).....Cecil has a daughter about my age...oh, If I had only know to take her for a ride, I might have got a piece of the Wheel Horse empire! with a 1963 steering wheel!......young and dumb was me....now I waste my time wondering who the gal is on page 73 :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

Nice looking repair on the hood Ken. 

Ken B

I've been doin quite a bit of work on the 603. I did a rebuild on the engine and much body work. Today was the day I decided to paint it. I used Resto series paint but I used Majic reducer and hardener. The Majic reducer and hardener is garbage compared to the Valspar I've used in the past, no matter what adjustments I made with air pressure and thinning a little orange peel was the flavor of the day. Maybe tomm. or Monday I will paint the hood and belt cover.. I still need to paint the rims that will be used.  The ag tires on the rear won't be used on this tractor, I want skinnys in the back.  Can one of the Mods relocate this thread to the Resto area? If you can that would be great!

IMG_1564_zps10450cb3.jpg

IMG_1568_zpsb4b43025.jpg

stevebo

Ken-

Looking sweet from here. You don't mess around. BTW moved to restorations...

Jake Kuhn

Looking great Ken! I believe you can get valspar hardener from amazon.com. My brother bought some of the valspar stuff off of there for a JD he has.

buckrancher

nice Ken nice

JimmyZ

Looks great any more pictures? Rebuild on the engine? Looks like this one got the works.

Martin

Ken, just found this thread and read it through. thanks to everyone for the lessons on the 603, never realized they were such a unique model.

Ken, you are doing a fantastic job of getting that tractor looking nice!.....

what a transformation.....

Edited by Martin

formariz

Very nice Ken. I am always amazed how quickly you get work done on these tractors.

stevebo

Ken,

I have some nice stainless I picked up at the trunk this weekend you are welcome to come get some to finish this one off

Ken B

Today I painted the belt cover and the hood. Still a little orange peel I'll have to wet sand and buff out. I have a half gallon of Valpar Resto Series red left over but I'm thru with this stuff. The Majic Hardener and reducer just don't mix well together with the Valspar IMHO. My brother in law works for Sherwin Willaims and that is what I will use on my next restore. I'm pretty happy with my body work where the hood was torn.. This hood really was beat to all hell Next up, decals. IMG_1571_zps55a6c663.jpg

IMG_1575_zps751a6e56.jpg

IMG_1578_zps5b9cd66b.jpgIMG_1576_zps7df489c2.jpg

AMC RULES

Orange peel doesn't show Ken...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

until you double click on the picts to enlarge...WOW!   :scared-eek: 

Ken B

I don't know Craig, its there but it not eye poppin WOW bad.  At least I know how to fix it. By the weekend you'll never know it was there. Its not something I was expecting but most paint jobs need to be wet sanded and buffed out anyway..

Edited by Ken B

Ken B

Today I spent some time wet sanding the hood to get rid of orange peel. I started with 1000 grit paper and finished with 1500. I then buffed by hand with rubbiing compound and microfiber towels. l'lI give it a few weeks before I use my machine polisher so the paint can really harden. I also cleaned up a set of rear rims and tires. I like this style tire on this tractor. They look kinda cheap which is what a 603 was supposed to be. I also dug thru all my tires and found the two best for the front. I also stripped the original front rims (no holes for front weights) and gave them fresh paint, once dry mounted the tires... Still some odds and ends left to do such as decals and break in the Techy..IMG_1586_zps92d1e27a.jpg

IMG_1585_zps207e3b87.jpg

IMG_1580_zpsa1738145.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looks really good ken!

AMC RULES

Paint looks much better Ken.   :icecream: 

stevebo

I knew it would look great once you wet sanded it. Now you just need to put the body molding back on the hood :banana-tux: