Ken B

Any 603 experts?

Ken B

Looks like a 603 to me...Can anyone tell if there are any incorrect parts on it?

6031_zps4d01b4d4.jpg

603_zps9e1b076f.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Looks pretty complete to me...when is that one coming home Ken?

• Like 1

buckrancher

looks good Ken steering wheel is on wrong is all I see

• Like 2

whfan74

Foot rests are wrong

Good looking Horse!

Edited by whfan74
  • Like 1

Hammerhead

I am an expert on these 603 Special's. I have about 5 of them. They were produced as an economy tractor and sold for a little cheaper than other WH's of that year, 1963.The steering wheel is correct and that is the only year they used that half moon steering wheel so it is pretty rare. The footrest's are correct also, they used up alot of old parts on this model tractor. They usually have the older style of footrests on them, but if they ran out of the old stock, they used these new stirrup style footrests. That big hitch on the back is not correct though, somebody home built that.The rare one year only choke and throttle levers are intact and they are hard to find usually. The seat spring is mounted backwards but can be switched around to be correct. Looks like the correct 6 hp Tecumseh engine. The mower deck is the right one but it could have a square deck on it too either one is ok on the 603. that plow looks like a very nice WH plow. Looks like a pretty descent 603 Special, so you better go get it before somebody drags it off. Good score on that one, hope you get it Ken...Here's a few of mine! KJ

054.jpg115.jpg051-2.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

The add on angle iron hitch is incorrect, I'm going to say the foot rest are incorrect, 99% of the ones I have seen have one of 2 styles on them both look like shoe soles, one set straight the other angled, the round front deck I don't think came out till 64 or 65 but that can be taken off easy, but other than that from here looks good

Ken B

I'm gonna grab it today. I like the fact that it comes with the Wheel Horse rear plow, something I can have some fun with. For 100 bucks I can't go wrong, I think this one will get restored. Thanks for the lead Stevebo! Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 2

stevebo

I know that you will do it justice!

Kelly

For $100 I would have been saying see what I picked up cheap !!!

HorseFixer

Good Lookin Tractor Ken and the $$$ Price is right! :notworthy:  :notworthy:

~Duke :wh:

stevebo

The turkey has landed ... More to come....

squonk

You should bring that plow to Steve's M & G and demo it on the front lawn!  :)  :ychain:  :ychain:  :thumbs: And that round deck started in at least 64. Our 604 my Dad bought new came with a round deck

Edited by squonk

stevasaurus

Just a question and/or observation...I see in Hammerhead's pictures, some have stripes on the hood (through the little square where the Wheel Horse Logo goes)...some have the 2" Wheel Horse logo...some have nothing.  I am just wondering about that.  Any ideas?? :eusa-think:

Nice find Ken...for sure.:)

Hammerhead

Just a question and/or observation...I see in Hammerhead's pictures, some have stripes on the hood (through the little square where the Wheel Horse Logo goes)...some have the 2" Wheel Horse logo...some have nothing.  I am just wondering about that.  Any ideas?? :eusa-think:

Nice find Ken...for sure.:)

Well to clarify, the 603 Specials are made to be a cheaper priced economy tractor. The WH factory had a lot of older style parts sitting in their inventory so they were smart about it and put all different types of older parts in this particular machine. So they used up the old parts such as footrest's from as early as 1960/61 as noted by the early production straight shoe sole type of footrests that dropped down some for a boot heel to fit into and were only made for a short time before they switched to later shoe sole type that are angled outward like the 1961 WH's and didn't step down for the heel but were flat. There is a few 603's around that have the step down type and even more were sold with the flat shoe sole type. But once WH got rid of their older footrests which may not take long, they installed their new stirrup type of footrest's on the 603. They came out in 1962 and they used them for quite a few years. The hood stand on these machines were a 1964 Model year item but it was put on the late production Special Model 603 to start the new style. So the front axles, steering parts, front tires and rims were old style parts too. Some 603's have older style Suburban front rims with no holes in them for Wheel Weights like all the other 1964 WH's had. I had one 603 that I sold to a friend on this site, it has a old style 1950's and 60's tool box on it with no fenders mounted to it and the early step down shoe sole footrests too. It had a low Serial Number on it. The hood is also a 1964 style of hood. So you can virtually have a 603 with a lot of different combinations of parts. That is why I like them and have so many of them. They are all different from each other. As far as the hood goes, it didn't come with the indented part where the 2 inch square WH decal resides on one of my 603's pictured. That hood was repainted years ago by a WH dealer that repowered the tractor and placed the decals on there according to the original owner, a 90 year old woman who I got it from, a Miss Clara Bell Valentine!  Seems she couldn't pull the original recoil starter anymore so they popped on a new electric start motor a 6 hp Tecumseh. So that 603 was converted to an electric start model and they spruced it up for her too. She kept the original motor as well! I left it as is to keep the story going in her memory. The new for 1964 hoods came with the decal there but just not indented anymore like the 1962 and 1963 hoods. The stripes that are on mine and Ken's new 603 are not correct, but they kind of look cool, mine is a double pinstripe. I think Ken's is a rubber piece of door trim from Napa or The Walmart. So I hope this clears up some of the questions on the 603. I am sure I don't know everything about the 603 so feel free to chime in. The 1045 was another inventory reducing machine that was produced late in the 1964 year and cleared out a lot of old fenders, tool box assemblies and square seats from the earlier Models. I have never heard the 1045's referred to as an Economy Tractor for a reduced price like the 603 was advertised to be. WH did it a few more times over their history and it worked out quite well for them financially. I thought most of this info was common knowledge to most WH collectors but maybe not. Nuff said...

• Like 7

Ken B

I grabbed the 603 today. I left work early so I got it home by 2:30 this afternoon First thing I did was 86 the chrome side moldings and give it a bath. Tore the mower deck and homemade rear hitch off. Cleaned the tank, carb, new fuel lines and pulled the flywheel to clean the points. It runs and drives but it runs like any tired Techy I've ever had, dizzy, dazed and a little confused with some smoke but it does run which is more than I expected.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about an engine for this tractor... There is a spring missing on the throttle assembly on the flywheel side of the engine, anyone got a picture of that spring and where it goes?

IMG_1550_zps15d56dc0.jpg

IMG_1548_zps8b03aede.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Already looks a thousand times better Ken.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looking good ken! Can't wait to see if you end up restoring it.

Ken B

I think its going to need a full restore Jake. The pics I took after its bath and cleanup almost make it look good enough to leave but trust me its pretty toasty!

CRE1992

Looks good Ken! Can't wait to see what your gonna do with it next.

Ken B

Here is another pic...The paint is so bad it almost looks like rust thru..

6032_zps1175652e.jpg

Sparky

I like it! What's the story on the half steering wheel? What's its purpose and why is that model the only one with that style wheel?

Mike..........

Ken B

Good question Sparky. Maybe because this was a cost cutting machine you only got half a steering wheel? In all honesty I have no clue but I always wondered myself.

64s

I bet you that since the Pond's were frugle, they got a good deal on them.  I know I saw another manufacturer use these steering wheels as well, but can't remember the brand.

stevasaurus

Hammerhead...I want to thank you for taking the time to type all of that knowledge.  I am more into the 1962's and I am just trying to get a handle on all that happened in that year.  Actually, some of the things you said, help me with the 1962's.  Again...thank you for typing all that.

We need an emoticon that expresses appreciation. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

speedyleedy

That's a great 603 Ken @ a great price too !