Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Lets talk lawns

BairleaFarm

What do do with my yard? I did some leveling work a few months ago and threw down some rye/fescue mix. The rest of they yard has alot of randomness in it and has never been fertilized. How should I make it be the best it can be next year? I plan on throwing down some rye in a a month or so to cover up all the brown/bald spots. Ill dethatch come spring and reseed every thing - with what? I figure fescue, rye, and BG mix. Id prefer not to spray if possible. What do you think?

Mith

You need to fert it. No point in trowing down seed if it has nothing to feed on.

Solid granules work well for me. Weed and feed. Nice and easy to control the application, no overspray.

rustbucket

when you toss the seed down i think a good starter fertilizer would help and once it has taken root come back and use another ferilizer if you use the strong fert on seed it fries the seeds out. 10 year landscaper.

linen beige

Last summer I had to reseed after grading around a new patio. I tried the rolls of grass seed/fertilizer mat from Lowes. Can't recall the brand, but they were white rolls, pretty thin material, NOT the "straw mat" looking stuff. Just roll them out on the ground, wet them down and keep them damp, and in about three weeks I had some VERY thick, dark green grass that survived the drought.

It is kind of high priced and requires you to kill off all the current growth prior to spreading the mats, but the results are great. I just wish the rest of my yard looked half as good.