Hodge71

Tiller Questions

Hodge71

Ok guys what do I need to make a Tiller work on my C-160 8 Speed? I have found one for sale locally with the idler pulley set up but I know theres some stuff I need out back... The manual helped me a little but pics of what is needed would be great....While I'm not quite ready to till quite yet, I am thinking about turning it into a tiller only tractor..at least for the spring and I see how well the 18 Auto does with the 60" deck on it on the 6 acres I have to cut now. Also any things I should loo for to make sure the tiller Im looking at is in good shape...If I remember correctly gearbox seals were an issue..  Thanks in advance for all your help .....

pfrederi

The tines are the big factor.  They should have a right angle bend and the horizontal piece should have a flat end NOT come to a point.  Seals are not an issue they are a standard CR i have the numbers here somewhere if you need them. Making it a dedicated tiller tractor is a good idea...the are not easy to mount/dismount.  I will go down and take a few pictures of mine...if it ever warms up!!!!!

pfrederi

Some pics...I didn't want to start her up and back her out as she has  30w in her and it is still cold.The tines on this are decent...not new.  If the tines come to point on the end instead of blunt like these they are worn out and expensive to replace.

You need a snow plow mounting bracket, rock shaft and some chains, shackles and an eyebolt to hook to the  rock shaft lift and the helper spring...which you will want the beast is heavy!!! You know about the front pulley and shaft that mount in the tachmatic.  (The belt is about $65 as i recall from Toro)

Edit:  There are some plans on here for welding up a rockshaft..I have a welder now... throw it in your truck and bring it up we will get it fixed up!!

post-1023-0-86767300-1395694654_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-25900800-1395694711_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-31470200-1395694772_thumb.jp

Edited by pfrederi

Hodge71

Making it a dedicated tiller tractor really wasn't my plan in the beginning Paul. I love mowing with that 160 for some reason.... Ive been looking for a tiller for the D for sometime now to no avail so its going to be the plan for now....Thank you very much for the pics ...Is there some sort of tube with a cable inside it that goes over top of the axle somehow? Or am I thinking about the the cable for the clevis hitch?

Edited by hodge71

gwest_ca

This is the manual for the tiller that fits the C-160

The bulletins at the end are for fitting it to other model years.

Garry

pfrederi

Its the same cable instead of pulling the slot and clevis hitch it pulls on the rock shaft, which is then hooked to the tiller via a chain.  Its not impossible to take it on and off just more difficult than most other attachments.

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents: Of course most important the under axel attachment as listed and the mule that attaches at mid mount (several varieties available) and it's tension spring, and then the all important drive belt (pricey if not good/with it)(I woukd suggest taking all rig attached to belt store as idler pullies may have been changed to different sizes)

There are several rear attachment methods after hooking to rear axel attachment, one has an eye bolt and HEAVY sping (same as on some snow blowers)

Like Garry says.......manual...and you really need the modle number. I believe auto was a different set up on past 70's ( different mule), so you might assume the mule would work on 75 standard, don't believe would.

If you can't get a model number post a photo some one will ID it, I'm only familiar with the 7-1251 and 7-1252 36" Tillers pfrederi  looks to have a newer model that attaches like the 7-1252

Edited by groundhog47

Hodge71

Oh boy I am really confused now...My C-160 8 speed is a 1974...I think what I am seeing is that I will not have a rockshaft setup as needed with the post 76 tractors.... but Im confused with the pulley/mule. All I know is there are 2 tiller that this gentleman is selling....1 is for the pre 1973 machines and the other is for the post 1973 machines..... How I tell the 2 apart I have no clue....Gerry is saying the mule is different for an auto vs 8 speed...whats the difference? How can I be sure I get the right one? I guess I only need a tube/cable then for the rear lift? Where do I find one of those or dimensions to make one? This seems to have just gotten really complicated and I really dont want to spend 300 bucks on a tiller that I cannot use....   

post-1339-0-48217500-1395754431.jpg

post-1339-0-59524600-1395754432.jpg

post-1339-0-75134900-1395754433.jpg

post-1339-0-31999400-1395754435.jpg

post-1339-0-70712500-1395754436.jpg

post-1339-0-62577600-1395754437.jpg

pfrederi

The tines on the left tiller in Picture 2 are worn out...

Hodge71

The tines on the left tiller in Picture 2 are worn out...

That may be ok Paul as I believe that is the 1969 tiller...at least according to the guy selling them. He told me the 1974 tiller is on the right

Edited...just looked at his email again and it looks as if the 1974 tiller is the one on the left Paul...I guess I'm screwed again

Edited by hodge71

groundhog47

The mule for standard is 3rd pic bottom (newer model and fourth picture bottom (don't see tension spring)(older style), the other two I think are for auto, not certain or tensioner idler as none on tiller and prob are axel attach brackets per manual

You'd have to use axel attach bracket or get the bracket that mounts idler to tow rame. Belts then you'd have to rty and fit up unless the belts there wer set up with mid mount mule. I would guess now maybe 7-1211 Tiller (check that one on implements/ground engaging (page four). The newer I fefer to is 7-1252 and higher, older is 7-1251 and below

The newer tiller attaches on the cover or shroud and has two washer like stops welded to end of draw bar that attaches under axel, the older has a rod/bar with lift hole and is attached to ":A" shaped draw bar frame that attaches under axel. (or in case of older than that to axel attach frame front)

I'm confusing me too!

Edited by groundhog47

pfrederi

I am confused by the pictures but if you look closely at teh hitch in picture 3 it has a small hole in the left hand side That would seem to match the parts picture for a model 7-1211 which is for 68-73  tractors. The 1974 and later do not seem to have that hole, but there is an additional cross brace not seen on the older ones. In 75 the cross brace was made diagonal 7-1252  I can't copy the picture from the PDF file but look at the manuals here for 7-1211 and 7-1251 0r 7-1252

Picture 3 does not have the cross brace and has the hole so I guess it is 7-1211 (68-73) and in pic6 the hitch is covered with snow so I cannot tell

groundhog47

I am confused by the pictures but if you look closely at teh hitch in picture 3 it has a small hole in the left hand side That would seem to match the parts picture for a model 7-1211 which is for 68-73  tractors. The 1974 and later do not seem to have that hole, but there is an additional cross brace not seen on the older ones. In 75 the cross brace was made diagonal 7-1252  I can't copy the picture from the PDF file but look at the manuals here for 7-1211 and 7-1251 0r 7-1252

Picture 3 does not have the cross brace and has the hole so I guess it is 7-1211 (68-73) and in pic6 the hitch is covered with snow so I cannot tell

Here is pic of "A" frame for 7-1252 borrowed from griff's post some time back

post-8388-0-85019400-1395770074.jpg

pfrederi

Not being confused enough here are some parts diagrams.

The oldest 7-1211 has the small hole in the hitch shaft and no extra cross member

The 1973/74 #7-1251 no hole in the hitch shaft and a horizontal cross member

Lastly 1975 and on ##7-1252 No hole and the cross member is diagonal.

I cannot see the hitch on the one covered with snow. 

Are there no model number tags on either one???

post-1023-0-65230400-1395782624.jpg

post-1023-0-71767800-1395782706.jpg

post-1023-0-46270100-1395782780.jpg

Hodge71

Its starting to clear up a bit now Paul...Wondering if I may be better off putting this on my boys Charger 12 as that tiller seems to be in better shape.... Or just not doing it and forgoing the garden. The last thing I need right now is money tied up in a tiller I can't use.  AS far as tags..I emailed him and he never got back to me yet....

brandonozz

I feel your pain Jeff about looking for a tiller for a D.  I let not one but two slip thru my hands while trying to get my D up and running and there just not something that pops up often around here.  One hit CL a few days ago and when I went to call the next morning about 10 AM the post was already gone.  Heck if I called at 8 AM I still wouldn't have got there quick enough as it was 150 miles away!

Good luck with your search.